What do you think of this? - take two

Given that it is Martin Luther King Day, I thought it would be interesting to get some views on what this quote means to different people. I have no idea if MLK is the originator of the quote or the idea behind the quote. I do know that the quote is widely attributed to him. Who originated should be immaterial to the discussion. So, what do you think?

All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 7:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• ABSOLUTELY the truth! And I wish more people would recognize and accept this truth!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think that it means that as we grown and learn that there is more growing and learning to be done. And for now, this is just my own brain at work, caution to those who think all their learning is done.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 7:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I just want you to know that the great Martin Luther King plagiarized this quote.

I said it first.

Okay, okay, just kidding.  I think it's an excellent quote that, as Irishcoffee succinctly put it, means that even after we have solved a problem, there is always work to be done, and improvements to be made.  With regard to racism, I think it means that, although we have made discrimination illegal in terms of tangibles, as in work and school environments, we still face racism in more discreet and nefarious ways--and we must strive to rise above it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think it speaks the truth.... Not everyone accepts change (or progress). They are just too set in their ways and aren't able to grasp that something else might be better and they in turn make things worse by fighting it. I think personal growth and understanding that as people we can change (or progress) for the better is an admirable trait. I wish more people would accept that.

Smart quote whomever wrote it.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• although we have made discrimination illegal in terms of tangibles, as in work and school environments, we still face racism in more discreet and nefarious ways--and we must strive to rise above it.

Totally agree J. This reminds me of something I learned in University - there are the things you know you know, and know you don't know, and the things you don't know you know - but the area that is the most dangerous is that which we don't know we don't know, ya know? There are areas in life that are so removed from our consciousness that we don't even know the questions to ask. This qoute is speaking to that - you reach a new level of awareness only to encounter a whole world you don't know how to approach. I think we're still at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to racism. As for people saying "I'm not racist but...", methinks they doth protest too much...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Oh, don't you love the "I'm not racist, but...." or the "I'm not homophobic, sexist, classist, but...." There is no educating some, and thankfully it doesn't have to be our job to change others, only ourselves.
    I have never wanted to be "so open minded my brain falls out" but it's always been the super-closed minded that really frighten me. No new ideas, no learning ever creeps in. Sad, and disturbing.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 8:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011