Puggles...

do you have one or know one... what kind of personality do they have? do they like to run/walk/ play ball?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Very active. Like to run. When looking for a mixed breed it's wise to research both breeds thoroughly and be open to expecting traits from both breeds. I have a chorkie and I have seen other chorkies that aren't as easy going as he is.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Puggles are adorable!! I researched them a bit and I've read they have great temperments. As Musicmom has said though, I would research both breeds - pug and beagle, and be as educated as possible about the breed in general. They are darn cute though!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I know a lot of puggles. They are high energy. The puggles I have met have had (overall) better temperaments than most of the pure bred beagles I've met. Not all..most. And the puggles have had less breathing difficulties than some pugs I've met. I think they are very cute and they have all been very friendly and affectionate. They are easily distracted and do like to jump up to greet visitors. Puggles can be very vocal, like the beagles, and they really require some early obedience work if you want one that is well behaved with good manners. They are quick learners and love to perform tricks too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have one.
    They love attention.
    Need A LOT of excersise.
    The beagle in them is a rodent hunter by nature, so they're always sniffing around like hound dogs. They can be hard to train, as their attention spans can be quite short. Training them needs to require favorite toys (Only used for training), treats, and short burts of training. Long drawn out training will get them easily bored.
    The Pug in them is easy to train, so it depends on what genetics come through the most.
    Both breeds have good manners, are family animals, like children, are not threatened by guests or strangers, and are not territorial.
    They are loyal animals and do love their owners when treated right.

So in short. If you have a lot of attention to give them, can give them long walks or at least a lot of excersise in a big yard, and have the patience to train them then they're a good choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• They can be very vocal, yes. They do require training from the very beginning. Like I said, they can easily become distracted and bored. Which requires a lot of patience from the trainer. Making their training fun is a great way to keep them entertained, as well as keeping their lessons short. Prolonging them will only throw their lesson off course as they come bored.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• thank you SO MUCH ladies!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• A puggle is not a breed of dog per say. It is a backyard bred, puppy milled mixed breed. You can find them at any shelter, under the name they are...mixed breed. DO NOT buy one as you will be contributing to the overpopulation of badly bred, non health checked, pocket lining, greedy breeders.

Go to a shelter and save a life.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• They are mutts so it is hard to say for sure which breed they will take after. If you truly want this mix look for them in shelters. There are a ton of them. I did a paper on the designer dog fad last semester and since "puggles" are so popular you don't need to go to a "breeder". A reputable breeder will NOT purposely breed mutts. You will find these mixs bred by puppy mills and backyard breeders. They do not care about doing any of the health tests or anything else for that matter to insure that the pups are healhty and of good quality breeding.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011