6 week old throwing up?

my daughter still only drinks 4-5 oz per bottle. she throws it up either during, right after, or sometimes an hour after eating. her dr said maybe shes just a puker. well, thanks, that helps!. shes gaining weight, so im not worried about that, just curious if anyone has any ideas. i asked about changing her formula, she said no......so ummm, ok!
needless to say after my dd's two month checkup, im changing dr's!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter threw up her formula too. Our dr. Said to try formula mixed with a little cereal, it makes it thicker and heavier, didn't work, she told us to switch to soy, it worked wonders!! My dd even threw up when I wass breast feeding..... Only the soy formula helped. And I would be switching too.gl!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I know this is a silly question but do you still burp her? I knew this one woman who thought she only had to burp if she fed formula and since she was breast feeding she didn't think she had to burp her child and it would throw up during, or after like your child.
    Anonymous

• Um she prob has acid reflux when u go to dovotr tell the theynwill give mantic and she will stop throwing up
    jomama2467

Answer by jomama2467 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sorry zantac
    jomama2467

Answer by jomama2467 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Some babies just throw up more than others. But you could try changing formula, feeding position, bottle types or start stopping her half way through and burping. At this age babies spit up mostly because of swallowed air that gets trapped under their food... If she is crying to let you know she is hungry she could be swallowing lots of air before you start to feed her, which will make her spit up once there is formula on top of it. But as long as she isn't loosing weight I don't see any reason to worry about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son did that as well. my ped said it was acid reflux and he would grow out of it. and he did. I didnt change any of his feeding habits. I just had to get used to cleaning him up after he ate. If i were you I wouldnt worry to much about it especially since she's gaining weight. she'll grow out of it.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 7:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yes i s burp her. i actually burp her on every oz drank so to give her a break from the eating and to burp her.......she burps almost every time, and still pukies! ugh! i think its starting to hurt her throat, now she cries. also it come out her nose if she drinks a lot at once......
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• change docs try a different formula and also ask about acid reflux esp if shes really fussy.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• awww... I hope she feels better. Maybe try just giving her an oz or two in her bottle because maybe 3-4 oz is to much. That way it may give her little tummy time to digest it. Maybe she is getting to much through the nipple too...can you try a different kind? Make sure she stays sitting up rather lay her down after eating? My oldest only ate an oz every hour. After you try a few different things maybe get a second opinion. You may have to try a different formulas too but sounds like she could be eating to much? Make sure that you are holding her bottle up too so she is not getting air in the nipple. ??? Just guesses :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 7:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• 4-5oz is a lot for a 6 week old! Have you tried smaller amounts, more frequently? My second was a spitter and I tried diet change (didn't do anything)... he had himself on an every 3 hour schedule, though, so he was taking in large amounts of milk at a time. I began nursing as often as he would allow (every hour, basically) and he stopped spitting up. Didn't last long because he was pretty rigid about only eating every 3 hours... but oh well!

Sometimes they just spit up a lot.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011