How to get a picky eater to try new foods?

I need some ideas to get my 3yr old and 19 month old to try new foods they are both very picky eaters and I have tried just about everything.. And what makes them a picky eater

mommato2boys79

Asked by mommato2boys79 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• "bars". as in chili bar (cheese, crackers, sour cream, corn, etc etc etc) baked potato bar, build-a-pizza, build a taco, build a salad. get them age appropriate scissors to cut up cheese, lettuce, etc. anything they can help with, press the oven button, have some control over.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Usually what makes kids a picky eater is simply being timid in general.
    I agree with the previous post. Allow them to help in the process of making their own food. Helping create their own food might give them the courage to try something new. As well as seeing you enjoying it and eating the same foods it can really boost their confidence.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• What I do is try to add some of what you know they already like, for example if they like applesause and want them to try bananas dip the banana inside of apple sause . i know for my little guy it works sometime. So it is a trial and error kind of thing Good Luck!
    Sakinsglow

Answer by Sakinsglow at 1:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011