Is birth control failing more than the disclaimers say? Or are people just saying they were using BC?

I honestly wonder this. It seems like everytime someone I know finds out they are pregnant nowadays they say they were using like three different types of BC. If it's true that's scary. But I'm starting to wonder if they just feel guilty for getting pregnant so they say they were on BC so they don't hear it from others. What do you think?

(BTW) I do understand it does honestly happen. I was on Depo and got preg. I'm just wondering if maybe the failure rate is higher than they think or if some people are just full of it.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I believe it's the user.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i got pregnant while on bc. I was taking it due to a miscarriage and I got pregnant
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• IMO the failure rate is higher than advertised.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• While there is a chance of getting pregnant while on any birth control, I think a lot of the time the person is not using the birth control correctly.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• ready4baby, I KNOW that it happens. I stated that. What I'm wondering is if the failure rate is higher than they say. Or if it's just more people saying they used it when they didn't use it right or didn't at all.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm not sure why it matters to you or anyone else. I think it's silly to feel the need to justify an unexpected pregnancy to anyone.
    Anonymous

• I too believe people are not using it correctly or not using it at all.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think people just take it incorrectly.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the shot is 99.4% certainty, but only if you don't have sex within the first 2 weeks of the initial shot
    The pill on average is between 94-97% certainty but only if you take it at the same exact time everyday
    SO i think there is plenty of room for mess ups
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Obviously anon is missing the point of the question. No one is asking anyone to justify a pregnancy. It scares me to think BC fails that much.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011