Does anyone know what the grieving process is?

Lost sister 5 weeks ago & 16yr relationship w/ friend who died on the 11Th of Dec. I started doing a lot of stuff that I wouldn't ever think of doing. Such as cutting myself off from family (all of them) and friends with whom don't communicate with me in the past year. I find myself crying over nothing. I go through spells where I think no one loves me or wants to be in my life. I feel out of place. I want to stay at home and never leave the house. I have extreme highs & lows in a matter of moments. I'm talking to myself. I don't know what to do? I can't control it. Nor can I get a grip on it. I just go with the flow... if I don't I feel like I'm on the edge and ready to loose it. Any suggestions, ideas, what to do & is this really normal?

blank stare

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• HELL
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Everyone grieves at their own pace, there is no "normal." When my best friend died 2 years ago, it took me two months to even be able to say her name or think about her without breaking down sobbing. She was young, 27, and her death made me realize how short life was - I did go through my friends and cut contact with several that weren't good for me. You may want to read a book on grieving, or talk to someone at your church (assuming because of your screen name). Its hard, I am so very sorry for your losses.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I find it most helpful to find others who have suffered the same type of loss. It helps to know that you are not alone. You might find help at compassionate friends. That is mainly parents that have lost their children. Some areas have seperate groups for siblings and others include siblings in their groups. You might even attend with one or both of your parents. They very likely need the support as well. I also used a site online called griefsupport.proboards.com It was so very helpful. Do not be afraid to let your feelings out in these groups. It is helpful because they understand.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• How old was your sister? How did she die? It helps to talk.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html

Answer by admckenzie at 8:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• ((((((HUGS)))))
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm sorry for your loss. =( Everyone grieves at different paces. Please, don't ever feel ashamed to seek help. If you feel you need to speak to a grief counselor to help, don't hesitate to do so. *hug*
    kaseyp84

Answer by kaseyp84 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You are cliniccaly depressed. You really should see someone soon and see someone that uou can talk to about all of this stuff, Sometimes it is eaier to unload on someone you dont know who is a neutral party. You have just gone through mre stress in a couple months than some people go through in years, Its ok to cry and to grieve but its not ok to cut yourself. This is a coping mechanism but its a mechanish that is causing harm to you, this iss not ok. Please go to see your psychiatrist if you have one ifnot go to your regular md who can maybe start you on meds and get you linked up with the help you need. If all of these fail pleases go to your local ER they can also get you started. Hospice also has grief support groups but I think you need more help than that- I work in the medical field and havre had experience with this,
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am sorry. I lost my sister when I was 10. Now 30 plus years later it still stings. I found myself crying in the shower this morning missing my mom so much it hurt, she passed 13 years ago. I guess what I am saying is there is no exact way to grieve. There is no way to control the process. Will hurt hurt everyday forever? No. Just do what feels best for you in the moment you are in.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Despair
    Acceptance
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011