Facebook

If there are age restrictions then why do you let your underage CHILD set up an account?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have no idea why parents let their children on facebook or myspace.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My children are 15, 5, and 3... NONE have an acount, we believe they should have an actual "childhood", and when away from friends/school actually be "away"
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My kids won't have accounts until they're at least 16.
    I don't agree with children having accounts.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son has a Facebook profile. He was 12 when he got it. His only friends are family (all over the country), school friends and teachers(he goes to a private academy), and we have his password. We set it up together. It's really not that big of a deal. It's kind of cool, because he isn't a good talker, but he will IM me when he's upset and tell me how he really feels. Then we talk in person later.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As I am raising my children and you are not. I do not have to explain myself to you.  We have our reasons, and, well, they are not any of your business. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• 13 is the age per their TOS, my oldest is the only child in my house to have a FB account because he's the only one old enough.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't. My kids are still young and I don't even like the idea of giving them an email account till they are of age to need the use of computers for school print outs. I think it IS a way to stay connected to family...as is skype if you can add all sorts of restrictions and parental controls, otherwise, unless fully supervised, I don't think under aged kids should be on it...if they were MY kids. I thought FB's age restriction was 13 at the youngest?!? -shrugs-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Because my daughter wanted to play the games on Facebook. I control her account, it's linked to my email and I know the only thing she's doing is playing apps which doesn't bother me.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You don't want to hear it, but we can post what we like...it IS our opinions after all. For some...IE...we live overseas so it IS a way for us to stay connected with other family members stateside...but that is US. My kids use other stuff with us present...but as for FB, I already stated what I do. -Shrugs- You don't want to hear it, don't ask our opinions. -sigh-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• BTW...No bs about the whole friend thing because YOU are in control
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011