How would you respond to this statement from your sister-in-law? "You can stop brown-nosing now that you are married to my brother."

This was at my first Mother's Day dinner and I had cooked a full course meal from scratch for all my in-laws. Her mother (my MIL) cried and said "This is the best Mother's Day I have ever had." Then my SIL cornered me and made this ugly comment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• slap

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Wow someone sounds green with envy???
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't give her the time of day, honestly. There are a lot of ungrateful, bratty daughters running around that don't take it too kindly when another woman gets added to the family and is better behaved than she is.

My SIL likes to go on about how she's a guest at her parent's house, and how she shouldn't have to help cook or clean up. I always respond to that by picking up her plate, smiling sweetly, and carrying it out to the kitchen.

I don't live there, either.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• reeeeowww...sounds like someone has a big case of jealousy. If your MIL treats you well..treat hjer well and nevermind the rude commentary.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's so rediculous it doesn't deserve a response.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd laugh in her face and walk away

Answer by admckenzie at 8:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Wow. I agree, that's completely ridiculous. I'm sorry your husband has a sister like that and you have to deal with her. Hopefully she grows up.
    kaseyp84

Answer by kaseyp84 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would laugh at her do you still have problems with her?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• she was/is just jealous, next time i would laugh at her and tell her how stupid she is
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 9:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• sounds like a jealoustrouble maker. You are best off trying to ignor that passive aggressive nonsence. You should keep your husband updated in case she makes more trouble, This exact thing happend to my sister with her new sister in law, she made problems at the holidays, her wedding shower and believe it or not her Wedding she made my sister cry I was ready to get the girls together and go after her. Next month is my sisters baby shower this lady better back off,
    I cant stand people like this. Why cant we be supportive of each other instead of being mean and nasty???
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011