Mental illness and firearms

I hope this wasn't asked before........Anyway, watched the world news and of course they talked about the Arizona shooting. Some citizens were for the tighter restrictions of firearms being sold to people who had a history of mental illness. I agree to a point, that people whio have a certain mental illness should be prohibited from purchasing guns or any other weapons. But even if and when this restriction came too, that the mentally ill can't have guns, that won't stop them from getting a gun anyway. Kinda like a convicted DWI person will still drive evne after he kills people. Who would make the decision on this restriction? Who will be able to know whether or not that mentally ill person should or should not own a firearm? The only time anyone knows a person has this illness if they were brought into a court of law and deemed incompetent. What about the people who have a mental illness and they own a gun? Is the government going to take away their guns? Will doctors go against the doctor and patient confidentiality to let members of the government know who has an a mental illness? This still will not curb the gun violence made by the mentally ill and the criminals. Just like making it illegal to own a gun by a citizen still will not stop gun violence. If the government decides to outlaw firearms, then only outlaws will owns guns.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You know I don't know what the answer is. Ted Bundy didn't use a gun. He used his hands, rope, and a piece of wood. It just isn't the gun. It never was. It is the person. We have to rethink the way we raise our kids. Psychologists have convinced us that our kids can't experience failure, suffer a consequence that isn't pleasant, or wait for a wanted item. They can talk to authority figures in any tone and volume they wish. If the parent even attempts discipline of any form, they have been schooled in how to call CPS. Now, you tell me why we have problems in society. Go back to the way my parents raised us. We were loved, but we were held accountable for our actions. If you broke it, you fix it. If you disobeyed, you were punished. If something failed, you tried again. We were taught to cope and that we are not the center of the universe. And we had guns in the house.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• People need to quit whining about gun laws (which had no bearing on what happened here) and worry more about mental health laws - which absolutely COULD have made a difference here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Those people, the family and friends and everyone else knew he was dangeous and there was something "off" about him, and other people were scared of him.

I was thinking more of the school and the military. Schools are required by law to report things to social services if they suspect a child is in danger in any way, shape or form. The same is true of other professions, including law enforcement, military, emergency workers, etc. If there was a law requiring them to report similar circumstances to adult protective services when they deal with someone they believe is obviously unstable, at least there would have been a process started - either when he was expelled or when the Army rejected him.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• clappingAnswer by jesse123456

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Exactly, OP. That was something I said when it started coming out that all of the people were scared of him and thought there was a problem, "why didn't anyone HELP him"? It's sad.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

Answer by NotPanicking

Very true. But no one sought help for him, so mental health laws would not have made any difference either.

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• "Very true. But no one sought help for him, so mental health laws would not have made any difference either." \
    Those people, the family and friends and everyone else knew he was dangeous and there was something "off" about him, and other people were scared of him. Just another example of some americans thinking "none of my business" and bury their heads in the sand. This shooting in my opinion, this whole thing could have been avoided if just ONE person took any kind of interest in him tlk to him or let professionals step in.0
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• worry more about mental health laws - which absolutely COULD have made a difference here.

THIS^
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• "I was thinking more of the school and the military. Schools are required by law to report things to social services if they suspect a child is in danger in any way, shape or form."
    I completely agree with ypu 100%, but we all know how kids slip thru the cracks. Schools teachers today have many kids in their classes now. Where I live, our high school teachers have at least 50 to 60 students in their classes due the city closing schools around the area. Social workers too have their work cut out for them. Especially with the way the ecomny the way it is. Food assitance is up, I had to apply for assisance, 1st time ever, a blow to my pride for sure. It took almost a month before I got anything. Its very sad that this happens but it does.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011