Deep Freezer died! New one won't be here till Wednesday! HELP!

It died on Friday and we could only get one here by Wednesday! My dad had told me to get about 10lbs of dry ice, which I did, but it only lasted about 24 hours, now everything is starting to defrost! The Dry ice is so expensive and didn't seem very effective. Would I be ebetter off if I transfered everything to coolers? Would that make the dry ice more effective??

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Meat can be salvaged - as long as you keep it cold and don't let it get back to room temp, you can re-freeze it Wednesday - just make sure you use your fridge or coolers to keep it at fridge temps. Anything pre-packaged that has a lot of air in it isn't going to re-freeze well - the air pockets are going to cause freezerburn. Does your freezer have an outage warranty? if you bought it new, read the labels on the door and the paperwork that came in it - some reimburse you up to a set dollar amount for lost food.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ok, good to know... I'm concerned about some stouffers lasagne I had stocked up on (it was on sale)... I'm thinking if I take them out of the boxes and put the dry ice directly between them it may refreeze them... Hopefully the freezer comes early on wednesday!

LOL, I'm thinking about the price of the dry ice versus the "Money i saved" by stocking up on things while on sale :-S
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Do you have any really nice neighbors? Offer them a share of the lasagna if they let you store the rest with them? :)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Freecycle.org and join your local groups and craigslist!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You can also check with your homeowners insurance, a lot of times they'll cover a loss like that, you'd have to make an estimate of how many dollars worth of food you lost and turn that in.
    Anonymous

• Well, It's probably a couple hundred dollars worth of food, but can't say it' would justify a homeowners claim. We have a somewhat high deductable anyhow! Now the neighbors idea... That could be an interesting way to meet some of them! LOL! Neighborhood Lasange (and garlic bread too, now that I think of it!) party!
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• well where do you live it you have snow bury the food in the snow-- I buried a turkey it was frozen when it buried it and frozen when I dug it up again a month later---- but I live in MN
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i was gonna say bury it in snow too! I live in south dakota! my sisters freezer went out and thats what she did!
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yeaaaaahhhh... I live in AZ. I'm more likely to fry an egg on the sidewalk than freeze a turkey in the ground!! LOL!
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011