Deep Freezer died! New one won't be here for days! HELP!

It died on Friday and we could only get one here by Wednesday! My dad had told me to get about 10lbs of dry ice, which I did, but it only lasted about 24 hours, now everything is starting to defrost! The Dry ice is so expensive and didn't seem very effective. Would I be ebetter off if I transfered everything to coolers? Would that make the dry ice more effective??

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Put your need on freecycle and pray you get a response.
    Start cooking.
    If you are in the north, maybe it is freezing outside.
    My grandmother use to have a box built outside a kitchen window that she used in the winter.
    Friends and neighbors are a good idea.
    Lowe's has them in stock and will deliver the next day or you can take it home with you.
    Buy one and cancel the other one.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Eh thats a tough one...do u maybe have a few friends close by u can snag some freezer space for a few days?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• A cooler isn't going to keep the food cold enough unless there is dry ice in with it. your best bet is to use friend's freezers until you can get your new one.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The only person I could do that with would be my dad, And unfortunately I don't think he has much room in his freezer himself...
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If all else failed start cooking. You can cook it as it defrosts to save it then refreeze when your new one gets here. Coolers should be fine with dry ice. We've shiopped across the country in a cooler with dry ice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• CRAIGS LIST... and freecycle.org for your local groups!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Cook and refrigerate then freeze when the new one comes. If things have started defrosting then it is not safe to refreeze it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have a thermometer in the freezer and as of yesterday it was holding about 28 degrees. Just today when I checked it it was as high as 34 degrees. It's as well as a fridge if it's under 41, so I'm not worried about food poisoning at this point.... I amazed myself at how much I was able to shove into my little fridge/freezer It's pretty much the garlic bread and some meat now.....

I will check out this freecyle thing... Never heard of it before.
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Trader paper, craigslist. Could buy a used freezer for cheap. Or get one at a rent to own ..then send it back....bbq in winter would be cool..
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 11:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011