Anyone else think that the BMI scale doctors use is extremely outdated?

The reason I ask, is because I am more muscle then fat and at my weight I look great ( having just lost 30lbs).. But according to the BMI I am obese??? When in reality I am now a size 9/10.

ArystaBrat

Asked by ArystaBrat at 8:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• very much so. I heard that chart says Michael Jordon is morbidly obese!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't. Plus to do someone like Michael Jordan or any athelete you use a different BMI chart because their weight is a lot of muscle and just general size, like height. But for the general public, the scales are spot on, IMO I don't see how a math calculation can be out dated.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Dominique if you think about it, the BMI was created at a time when the general population was not only lighter in weight but also shorter in height. As humans we have grown in body size since then.
    ArystaBrat

Comment by ArystaBrat (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• plus an athlete would be getting their skin folds measured, their underwater weight, etc to calculate their BMI, fat percentages, not just the standard chart.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the BMI is based off of height and weight, it is a math equation. If you want I can pull up the equation for you.
    DomoniqueWS

• I have done the math I assure you. Though for me it says my BMI is like 33.2.. If I was to go down to the normal weight on BMI scale I would look sick and unhealthy if I could get to that weight safely.
    ArystaBrat

Comment by ArystaBrat (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yeah if the BMI is over 30 that's considered Obese, unless you are super buff, then you can do the underwater weight. You don't have to be the smallest of the BMI's but if you are saying that you have a lot of excess fat, the numbers don't lie, that's obese. You could simply bring your BMI to a 24, 23, or even a 22 and you would not look sick or unhealthy. You'd probably be looking damn good girl and you'd probably be a bit muscular too.

My hubby is a personal trainer and a lot of women get shocked at their BMI's, hell I know when I got mine I hit the gym that day, lol. But it's really to let you know you are at a high risk for a lot of problems, including diabetes, heart attack, etc.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am a damn goodlooking girl. I meant that if I went down to BMI of 24 or so I would look sick and unhealthy. Size 9/10 is not what I would say is obese for women. Thats less then the populations average of about 12-14. I just believe in some cases such as mine that this scale is quite out of date.
    ArystaBrat

Comment by ArystaBrat (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't know much about the BMI scale, but by what you say it does seem off.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I agree with you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011