Did you sleep with your parents as a child?

If so, do you have a hard time sleeping alone now? When did you stop sleeping with your parents? Do you now let your child sleep with you?

If not, do you wish that you had? Do you not have a connection with your parents that you think you might have if you had slept in there bed?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 9:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never slept with my parents, and I don't think our relationship would be any different if I had. My children never sleep with me, and we are very close - I know that some believe in the "family bed," but it's not for me or my family.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Never slept with my parents and never had an issue sleeping alone
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• And no I dont wish that I did. I had/have an amazing relationship with my parents and being "unconcious"(sleeping) doesnt have anything to do with it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I slept with either a parent or sibling up until the time that I left home. I did not have a hard time transitioning to sleeping alone. Now I am married and love sleeping with my hubby but when he is out to sea I enjoy sleeping by myself as well. It is just different. We have not let our little ones sleep with us. I am such a light sleeper that they keep me up. So we have a cosleeper next to the bed for the first few months and then are moved to their cribs. I have no issues with my little ones sleeping with each other but my husband wants them in their own beds.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have slept with my parents maybe twice in my life and it was before I was 4-5.. My kids don't sleep with us and I don't wish they did.. My brother used to sleep with my parents all the time and he had trouble sleeping alone until he was 12 or so.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yep slept with my mom growing up and never had an issue sleeping alone. I grew out of it and went into my own room. I let my kids sleep with me as well, and they too grew out of it and into their own rooms without a problem of sleeping alone. I cherish the time my kids actually wanted to be in bed with me, and wanted to cuddle. Three are grown now so I miss when they were little. I used to also cuddle with my grandma and now that she has passed those memories of sleep overs with her are some of the best I have of her.

Answer by gemgem at 9:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sleeping with parents is not something that was done when I was a child. My father was hospitalized for a couple of years when I was about five. My mother and I went to live with my aunt and uncle. During that time, I slept with my mother. I remember the time. But I do not think it affected my relationship.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i did and still do till this day.. but i really have no problem sleeping alone i have for many many years and love it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yup, me my mom and baby sis all shared a king size bed until I was about 9. my sister stopped when she was 10. We were very poor and had to rent out half of our home so instead of cramming the room with beds we just got one big one.

I can sleep alone fine now, usually better cause I can spread out. yes my son sleeps with us, he is 1, I
    don't care to put him in his own bed, beside for naps, until he is 2
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Some of you said you sleep alone, but also said your children sleep with you. How is that sleeping alone?
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011