Tanning bed/pregnancy

I was wondering if you went to the tanning bed and didn't know you were preg would it harm the child...If you went to the tanning bed for 2 weeks and later found out you were pregnant would your child be harmed in any way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No. My OB actually told me I could go to the tanning bed if I wanted - it doesn't get hot enough to pose any danger to the child.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I did and the baby was fine. Told my dr and all but he was not that concerned about it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Everything will be ok....I even asked the Dr about tanning beds when I was pregnant with my youngest DD and she told me iit's even ok to lay the whole time you're pregnant but only twice a week and no more than 10 minutes.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• pregnant women, exposed to tanning beds or excessive heat, exposes the fetus to health risk., especially during first trimester of pregnancy. It raises the body's temperature like when the woman gets into a hot tub or a sauna. There is a possiablity of the increasing risk of spinal malformation in the fetus and plus the ultraviolet rays will diminish folic acid level within your body.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sorry I hit the post your answer button on accident...... Although, despite advisory concerns, pregnant women should probably only use the tanning bed for short sessions. Make sure u drink water or other fluids to prevent dehydration. Make sure there is plenty of air After first trimester, pregnant women exposure to tanning beds, recommended maximum time ten - fifteen minute sessions, lying on side or standing up, to prevent restricted blood flow. But if one still wants to be tan, I heard that pregnant women should probably avoid applying Self Tanning lotions or creams. These products may pass through the skin, placenta, and might harm the baby.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't think you have anything to worry about, but now that you know that you are expecting I would not tan anymore. Congrats btw!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Also, be aware that when you're pregnant, your skin is more sensitive, and if you tan, you're more likely to experience melasma, which is the mask of pregnancy. Your skin can get mottled and weird looking if you tan. Not to mention the other health risks associated with tanning.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• once u found out your preg id say dont tan anymore, it may be fine it may hurt the baby i dont know but id say stay away from it its your baby and if u want to ensure a healthy child dont go but im not saying go or dont go
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 11:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Basically what I read about tanning beds while pregnant is that they are dangerous because you get so hot and your blood pressure rises. I had an august baby and was always out in the sun, but if I would get hot I would immediately go inside or in the water. I agree with musicpisces your skin is definitely more sensitive so you just have to use your own judgement and talk to your doctor.
    rpetullo

Answer by rpetullo at 5:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011