A bit scared, is this normal?

Any time my DD of 4yrs bumps her head( and it doesnt have to be hard) she cries of course if it hurts and with about 10 secs of crying her eyes roll back in her head and she goes limp for about 1-5minutes. Its extremely nerve wracking and has happened more frequently in the past month. I am taking her to her paedatrician in a week. But still its scary...

ArystaBrat

Asked by ArystaBrat at 9:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Not normal at all, why have you waited so long to take her to be seen????

Answer by older at 9:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would be scared too! I am not sure I could wait a week. I would be calling the doc and explaining what is happening they might even see her immediately or send you to the hospital. I would not be patient enough to wait.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• She has been seen for other things. They gave her a diagnosis of moderately mentally handicap. I am a shy person and I dont want to bother doctors if they have patients who are more in need of help.. This is my first time rasing a child..
    ArystaBrat

Comment by ArystaBrat (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• To you your child should be the only child you worry about and if it means bothering a Dr than that's what you do. Don't put your child's health in jeopardy just because you are shy.  It could mean life or death.  Don't mean to be so bold, but you are that childs protector and you should always bother anyone when it comes to anything about your child.  None the less hope your little one is okay and all works out.  Hang in there and God bless.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Make the call! Why would you think that your child is any less a priority to the doctor? You have somewhat of a diagnosis the doc needs all information, it is what is best for your child. I do not believe for one second that it would be a bother to the doctor.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• it is not normal. Don't worry about bothering the doctors. That is what they are there for. She needs to be seen by the a doctor.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Not normal and the rule of thumb is if a child loses consciousness you go to the ER right away. You should probably go there now.

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ladies I thank you for your advice and I will be taking her in as soon as possible.
    ArystaBrat

Comment by ArystaBrat (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i would have taken my dd to the emergency room the FIRST time it happened. i sure as hell wouldnt have waited until it happened SEVERAL times before getting her seen! do you realize that there could be a brain bleed or something worse going on in there? you need to get over being 'shy' and worry about taking care of your child!!!
    cevyn

Answer by cevyn at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You need to get her to the ped yesterday. Losing consciousness is not normal and not something that you need to be worried about "bothering" the doctor about. 5 minutes is a long time for a young girl. You need to call and get her in tomorrow, not next week.

My son had 1 episode where he appeared to have a seizure or pass out and I was on the phone the minute he came to, and at the doctors 5 minutes after I got all the kids' shoes on. Turns out he has grand mal seizure epilepsy. He is on medication and doing well. But he would have continued to have seizures if we had not done something about it. This is what is happening to your DD. Once you have more than 1 seizure, the chance of having another go to 80%, your DD is there, if not further.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011