How can I tame my 16month old behaviour And Get her on a schedule? HELP!!

My 16month old is very spirtied and very strongwilled as well as stubborn.. She doesn't have any structure or a scheduled bedtime or etc.. She was a very sickly child since 2weeks old and now she has done a complete 360 since her surgery in november. Andeoinds removed as well as tubes placed in both ears.. She is making me very exhausted and I have tried time outs and light tap on her hand when she touches something she isn't supposed too. She keeps pushing her limits which is a usual thing for a child to do at this age but I'm at a loss on what to do.. The other thing that is concerning and I'm not sure what to do is this.. When Savanna starts to have a temper tantrum whether it be for no apparent reason or if something was taken from her. I let her throw her tantrum but what ends up happening after just a few minutes of screaming she ends up vomiting because she has made herself so very upset.. Then i pick her up bath her and it's like im starting all over again.. Someone please give me some advice because i don't know what to do anymore...

SavannasMom0828

Asked by SavannasMom0828 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh for goodness sakes. YOU decide her schedule. Get her up earlier if you want to begin her day differently and quit smacking her hand. Put up stuff she's not supposed to have. She is exploring her world and you want to punish her for it. Time out is silly for a child that young. She has no clue what you want her to sit and think about! She has no idea she did anything wrong. Just enjoy her and guide her. Don't think of punishing her.
    Anonymous

• How we did it:
    Wake up with her at the same time every day. Breakfast at 8:30 everyday.
    12:30 - whenever she wakes nap time! Every day! If she is fussy, put her in her bed and let her cry a bit. My son crys for about 2 minutes, i check on him when he stops and he is already asleep. The crying is just to test you. Obviously don't let her cry for like an hour!
    3 snack time.
    6 dinner
    8:30 bedtime (probably a little earlier for your daughter cause she is younger)

If you stick to this for 1 week it should work. It worked for us. The temper can be usual. If the doctor says no ear infections or anything like that, she is just trying to communicate her emotions any way she knows how. We simply ignore tanturms, no looking, no taling nothing. When he see that he doesn't get anything from acting like that he comes up to us and tries to communicate in a more civilized manner.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Oh and the time outs do not work until 2 years old at least, and if you spank her hand at this age she will start smacking also. Just look her in the eye and say a firm no, and don't ever forget to tell her why it's a no no!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• even if you don't think she'll understand why you are telling her no, tell her anyways.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• First of all, her behavior is going to be much worse if she is tired and if there is no structure in her life. She needs to be getting enough sleep at night and at her age, a nap during the day. If there isn't a routine, make one. Start doing the same things at around the same time everyday. It won't take long at all for her to follow a routine and you'll probably be surprised at how much her behavior improves. Start paying attention to her cues and follow them and work around her schedule. She won't act up nearly as much if you do.
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Please do not TAME her. Help her learn to behave appropriately. You want her to explore and experience. You just have to guide her behavior in the right direction.\
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• well that does make sense because since i have spanked her hand a month ago she has devopled hitting.. I will stop that. The time outs are right they don't work whatsoever.. Thank you so much for your help it has been very informative and helpful and I am always willing for more advice! Thank you
    SavannasMom0828

Comment by SavannasMom0828 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• thank you all for your comments they are helpful! I am always looking for more advice
    SavannasMom0828

Comment by SavannasMom0828 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011