Nervous about flying with a 6 mo. old

So my MIL has guilted us into flying down to Florida to see her this month.....knowing I really don't want to take our daughter on a plane until she is older. I guess I just stress about inner ear pain, or her crying the entire flight, etc. She is still breastfeeding so I am hoping that will help her be comfortable. Any advice?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If its in your budget buy her a seat and bring along her car seat...it is something familiar to her lether eat as you are taking off and landing if she will or if you use a pacifier...the sucking will help pop her ears. Bring along some little toys and try not to stress to much because she will pick up on it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Her picking up on my stress worries me even more. LORD! At least it is only an 1 1/2 hour flight.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Both my kids have been on many flights and both went of their first flight when they were much younger than your baby (we are a military family) so I know how stressful it can be! First of all, if you can afford it, get your baby her own seat and bring her carseat on the plane. Even if she doesn't spend that much time in it, it's much better than staying on your lap the whole time. I've done both and having their own seat is much less stressful for everyone. Second, neither of my kids ever had inner ear pain at all and like I've said, we've flown a lot. If you are worried about it, nurse her when you take off and when you land or give her something to suck on during that time. The cabin has the same air pressure no matter the altitude so it shouldn't affect her. About her crying, don't worry about it! The engines are so loud and most people wear headphones so no one will hear her! Don't stress! It'll be ok!
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Between this question and your other question, I get the feeling you really don't want to go to FL. RELAX! I have flown with both of my kids as babies and neither had any problems with flying. My son was 11 months old when he flew the first time and my daughter was 8 months when I took her on a plane. The first time was with me, my son, and DH and we held him in our laps. I gave him a bottle at take off and landing, but other than that he was happy and playful. He even slept a little bit. With my daughter, she was 8 months and it was just me and my dad (who wasn't much help). Again, I held her in my lap. I nursed her during take off and landing and gave her a paci during the flight. On both trips, I got compliments on how well my babies did on the flights.

I think you're stressing yourself out way too much over every little thing that MIGHT go wrong.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I started flying with my son when he was 10 weeks old. I was absolutely terrified and now about 8 flights later I can say everything has always been fine. It's usually our anxiety that the babies feed off of. Every time I fly I always check my stroller at the gate and then my son sits on my lap. I found that feeding and changing him at the airport before I board the plane is a good start cause after the plane takes off he will usually sleep for a couple hours and that way I only have to feed and change him once on the plane. Also, my son has never had any ear pain whatsoever.
    rpetullo

Answer by rpetullo at 12:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011