Do you care if your kid's clothes match?

I think I'm overly obsessed with my kids clothes. I see so many kids when I go out that don't match, and most of my friends kids don't match. Sometimes their clothes go together ok, but other times it's like they just pick random shirts and pants and don't even think about it, even to the extent of striped pants with a striped shirt and completely different colors in both sets of stripes. I don't care that other kids don't match, but I just can't stand for my own kids not to. Sometimes I'll let them stay mismatched at home, but it bugs me all day. If we're going out I make them change. Once as kind of a dare, I took them to the park wearing completely mismatched outfits and I was really embarrassed and self consious the whole time, even though probably no one but me cared. Do you care? Do you make your children change clothes if they don't match or do you let them wear whatever?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• most the time my kids match I am not as bad as you but pretty close.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I do. I feel like people will look at me as though we are trashy or I'm a bad parent if my kid looks like a hobo.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't care. All that matters to me is that the clothes are clean.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am crazy when it comes to matching right down to the shoes! Her appearance is a direct reflexion on me the mother.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I won't let them outside with a red shirt and green pants if thats what your asking lol. But as far as matching to the T. No, I could care less. During the week, school clothes... I do that of course. Weekends, holidays... Whatever. DD goes out in her tutu most of the time lol.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I do now (if they leave the house) but I won't care too much when they start dressing themselves. I just hope I have had enough influence so they make good decisons. = )
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I do it because if I'm dressed nice and put together, how would that look if my kids aren't. It would look like I'm self-centered which I am not. I spend the money on nice clothes so they might as well look nice too.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 10:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I can totally relate to you!!! It drives me completly insane if they dont match
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• *nice clothes for my kids that is, so I might as well see that their clothes match.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 10:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm the same way. My son always has on matching clothes. I can't even stand it if his socks don't match, lol. Even when we're home alone like him to be in matching clothes. When my MIL visits she put him in completely mis-matching outfits and I always change him into something else. I think she wonders why, but the truth is...if I can help it, none of us are leaving the house looking tacky...including my husband, who I've made change before, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011