how can I increase my milk supply?

It seems like my little guy is still hungry after feedings so I pump and before I was getting almost 4oz and now I am only getting 1 oz and I really want to continue BF but if he isn't getting enough then I will have to FF. Nothing is wrong with formula feeding all my children have had breast and formula. I just want to BF longer then I did last time. Any suggestion?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink more liquids

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was told the more you pump the more you make...Now I've heard some women just won't produce more. (Usually small framed caucasians.)
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Drinking more liquids will not increase your supply. I think your supply is fine! You should not be able to pump 4 ounces after just feeding unless you have way too much milk! Stop pumping and just nurse your baby on demand. If you nurse on both sides and he still seems hungry, then put him back on the first side again.

The more you nurse, the more milk you will make. You are doing fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I will do that..

I have never heard that before but it is good to know..
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Nurse, nurse, nurse, is the best way to increase milk supply. Also drink plenty of water. My friend swore fenugrek (sp) works too.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well I pump for my husband he likes to be involved with feeding our children.. So after he has ate I will wait and pump before he wakes up and I usually got 4oz but today he was fussy and I was surious to see why or what was going on cause he was stilll very hungry and I pumped and I only got 1oz and that was pumping from both breast.
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have been nursing on demand and it seems like he empty me and then he is still hungry and that is switing sides too ..
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i think theres a tea called mother milk it may help never tried it. but the best thing you can do is just let him suck as long as he wants and offer both breasts then pump after even if you dont get much and you will get discuraged but keep it up. this tells your body that his needs are increasing so you will start to produce more. also try to be relaxed like in a quiet room in a comfty chair that can help alot. and visulize him feeding when you are pumping and for some odd reason it makes you let down or at least it did for me. i was able to do this and extend bf by a month and the second time i slowed in production i just gave up but i really wish i hadnt i didnt relize how much i enjoyed BF until i stopped but at least i got 3 or 4 months BF. GL
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Pumping is never a good way to measure how much milk you are actually producing because the stimulation that you get when your baby nurses is completely different then when you pump.. The best way is to see how much you are feedin the baby is to wiegh your baby before and after you nurse him.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• How much you can pump is not the same as how much baby can get. It can be harder to maintain supp,y by pumping. You will probably have better success and be able to breastfeed longer if you breastfeed whenever you are with your baby, and don't pump and have dad bottle feed. There is plenty more dad can do to help out and connect with baby!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011