Did I handle this tantrum the right way??

I took my 2.5 y/o on a walk to the drug store. We approached the local dollar store and she wanted to go inside. I said that we could go there AFTER we got back from the drug store. She had a major fit about it! Tears rolling down her cute little face, pulling me towards the door, etc. I stood my ground. I finally said, "If you don't stop crying we will go back home. What is your choice? The drug store or home?" I said it a bunch of times, but it didn't seem to sink in. Finally I started walking towards the drug store, with my daughter STILL crying and trying to drag me back to the dollar store!! She eventually stopped crying, but her tantrum just ruined the entire walk.

Did I handle it correctly? I kept my cool-I didn't yell, threaten physical discipline (I don't spank), nor did I give in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's fine that you took her after. She's still really young, first of all. Secondly, you did tell her that you would go after. That taught her that you kept your end of the deal. If you had told her you would take her after and didn't, she would have been confused and may not have believed you the next time. Eventually she'll realize that if she wants rewarded, she must do what you say first. As she gets older and understands the process, if she continues to throw tantrums I'd explain to her that if she acts like that you will not be going at all. But...since you told her you would this time, I'd say you did what you should have. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would say you handled it great better than most
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd say you handled it the correct way. You stood your ground, and eventually she stopped crying bc she realized her tantrum wasn't doing her any good. Eventually she'll realize this sooner and sooner, to the point where she won't throw tantrums in the first place. If you had given in and went to the dollar store first, she would have learned that she could get her way with tantrums.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would say you did a great job!
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 11:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think you did good, as long as you don't give in to them the tantrum phase won't last that long. My dd's the same age and is learning quickly how to clam herself down and that the tantrums just don't get her anywhere
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Seems like it. If you had looks, it should be one of those "been there" looks. Did you end up going to the dollar store afterwards?
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I hope you did not go to the Dollar Store after.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I wound up taking her to the dollar store after the drug store only because I originally told her I would do so after we went to the drug store? Should I have not taken her?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think you did a great job but I would have taken her to the $1 store.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• wouldn't*
    mommy_of_two388