my son is crawling and he was sitting with me on the bed and i got up for a second and turned around and in a flash he rolled right off the bed...i caught him, but i cried for a good hour...i feel like an awful mother...is this normal to feel this way???

oh...and he did end up landing on a pile of clothes...thank god, but i caught his arm. i feel so guilty that he fell, but he crawls super fast. he is fine, but the guilt is eating me up inside. :(

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it's very normal. He's okay mama no worries.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Completely normal.

I once tripped and dropped my toddler. His head hit the tile floor. He cried for 2 seconds. I was still crying when I got off the phone with the pediatrician. You both will be fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, it is normal. I am glad you caught him. It was just a reminder so that you are aware of how fast they move and things can happen. Give him some loving and calm yourself down. It is just the beginning of a long road.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd be worries if you didn't feel this way. We're moms... We worry, We feel like crap over some of the most trivial things. Its what we do.

He's ok. Smile mama.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• This is normal I felt the same way the other day I was putting cheese away in the fridge the other day and I normally have my baby gate on my stairs but I turned for just a second and my baby had fallen down the stairs. I felt horrible but looked him over to make sure he was ok and he was thank goodness talk about make my heart stop for a few minutes though. I think it more of just scared him. I think its completly normal to feel that way though because we are their protectors and they rely on us. Its ok to feel sad but remember it happens on accident sometimes. Good luck momma im sure your fantastic!
    TwinMomma2010

Answer by TwinMomma2010 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• its ok baby is ok. and it will happen again you can count on that. i cant count how many times my kids have fallen off my bed their bed the couch tripped and fell down the porch steps. you jus tpick them up give them hugs and kisses and put bandaids on their knees and send them on their way. this is the time were they start to explore and the clumsiness will begin.
    Anonymous

• this is the first time it's happened...and he's just getting so active at almost 9 months now, and i'm just trying to get used to him moving around SO fast...he cried for a few seconds then laughed, but i cried forever! this is my first child so i'm new at all this!
    joli13

Comment by joli13 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's normal to feel guilty, but you have to remember that no one is perfect and accidents do happen. You did nothing wrong, mama. Just be thankful that he's alright, and don't dwell on it too much.

When my son was 3 or 4 months old I was walking through the kitchen and I bumped his head right on the refrigerator door! It barely made a sound and he didn't even cry, but I felt so horribly guilty! I cried for days; I felt like a terrible mother. But again, accidents happen. This is probably not the worst accident he'll have, and it's certainly not the last.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 11:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• you're not an awful mother! it happens :) He is ok and you'll be ok! Once when ds and I were at the park ds was starting to learn how to stand. I was laying down, he stood up and used me to balance, he slipped on some mud and fell on my head. His few teeth cut my nose and he had a cut on his gums. THAT made me feel like a terrible mom! Accidents happen and as long as we give them the tlc they need we as mothers do a great job :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's normal to feel that way, but it's also normal for things like that to happen. The same thing happened to me once and I know I'm not a bad mom. Yes, I felt absolutely horrible, but I finally realized it was an honest mistake and one that I learned from. I always supervise my son, but that one time that I turned around without thinking, he fell. He didn't get hurt either, luckily. It just made me even more aware and it hasn't happened since. It was a mistake and all mothers experience something similar at some point, regardless of how great of a mom they are. Forgive yourself, hon. Like I said...it happened to me and I'm a damn good mom, lol! :)~
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011