Trouble with breast feeding?

Did anyone plan on breast feeding no matter what and end up giving up for whatever reason? I am 37 weeks and hell bent on breast feeding but scared something is going to happen to prevent me from doing so. Any advice/experience with this is greatly appreciated!

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my first child, I ended up having to pump exclusively. I did it for 13 months. If I had had the support and education with him that I did when my 2nd child was born, I probably would have been more succesful at physically breastfeeding him.

Join the breastfeeding group on here. If it hadn't been for that group, I probably would have ended up pumping after my daughter wasborn instead of BFing her for going on a year now. I learned so much from them in the early days and weeks.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Breastfeeding is harder than it seems. Many obstacles can prevent you from breastfeeding successfully, from flat nipples to your baby's frenulum not being long/flexible enough, to low supply, to oversupply. I had no idea of any of this, thinking that breastfeeding should be the most natural thing in the world!

It also doesn't help that some people are downright militiristic about it-- saying it's the best therefore you should do everything in your power to do so. It took a good solid month before I got it right with my son, and I was thankfully able to nurse him for 15 months.

I suggest you read The Nursing Mother's Companion. It had some helpful suggestions for overcoming some of the more common obstacles to nursing. But I will warn you that they're kinda militiristic. i.e. they think no nipple shield-- well, without it, my son wouldn't have been able to to do it! But overall it helped a lot.

good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was all about bf my dd after bfing my son for 6 months. Buuuut she had other plans. She didn't eat until she was 16 hours old, which frustrated me and made my milk come in slower. Even then ever time I'd get her latched, she would fall asleep. So we went to the lactation consultant, she gave me a shield thinking it'd help, nope. I started pumping and she started gaining weight after two and a half weeks. Unfortunately, my milk slowly came to a stop because she would only drink from a bottle. A bad habit I had started. At first I felt awful, but she was a happy growing girl, so in time, I was ok with the formula too.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was hell bent on nursing my son, and I'm glad I was! We had a very complicated labor and delivery, and we struggled through the first 6 weeks of nursing. We finally made it over the hump with A LOT of work, and I am SOOO glad we pushed through. 99% of moms who have good support CAN work through it.
    That said, my cousin has a hormone imbalance that has kept her from being able to EBF. With her third, she finally settled for nursing at the beginning of each feeding, then finishing with a bottle. At least this way her daughter gets SOME milk.
    Also, a good friend of mine had a uterine infection post partum that hospitalized her. The antibiotics she was on kept her from being able to nurse. She pumped and dumped, and resumed nursing when she got the doctor's clearance. Then she ended up with a C diff infection, because of the hospital visit. The 3 week course of antibiotics with that, plus other issues in her life, (cont)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• (cont)
    finally got the best of her, and through many tears, she started bottle feeding. She REALLY gave it her best. She REALLY wanted to nurse, as she was separated from her first child after he was born (she was active duty in the Navy, and was on a ship, so her husband had the baby while she was gone). It just devastated her to let it go, but she knows she gave it her all.
    Again, most women can work through issues they meet. It's all about getting support, a good lactation consultant, and pushing through. You can do it! You'll be fine!! =)
    A great book to read is "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." I wish I had read it when I was pregnant! It would have made those first 6 weeks SO much easier!! At least I would have felt less alone.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ask for the lactation consultant at the hospital if needed they are willing to spend more time with you then the nurses if things are not going well for you.

http://www.llli.org/  La Leche League has plenty of local support groups.

With my youngest she spent 4 days in the NICU with feeding tube and oxygen. I didn't get to hold her until she was 1 day old and didn't get to try to BF until was close to 3 days old. I even had to let them give her formula.  But I was still able to BF her for 14 months.  I am only telling you this because just because everything doesn't go as planned or the way they tell you its supposed to happen doesn't mean that you won't still be able to breastfeeed. 

If this would have been my first vs my third I don't know if I would have been as successful.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Relax, for one thing. One thing that really helped me was waking my dd every 3 hours day or night for the first 8 weeks to nurse. It helps establish a good supply. Don't pump at all until you are well established, your body doesn't respond to a pump as well as it does to a baby, and giving baby a bottle too early can cause nipple confusion. Also, ditch pacifiers for the same reason. If you want or need to introduce bottles, the 5-6 weeks mark is a good time for that. Nurse as soon as you can after baby is born, if you want to have baby cleaned first that's ok, but you can nurse as soon as you deliver (as long as you have no complications and don't have a c-section). Have the lactation consultant come in, even if you aren't having trouble. They can give you a lot of tips and support and let you know if your latch and positioning are good before you have problems. Also, invest in a nursing cover, it's a lifesaver!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was hell bent on breastfeeding and did so for 14 months with my first.. 6 months so far with my second (still going strong!) It is painful for about the first week... IT'S NORMAL and it WILL stop hurting and actually will feel pretty nice once you and baby get the hang of it! It can be exhausting having the baby on your breast ALL the time BUT at least you can pop out the boob at ANY time and it's ready when baby is.. unlike formula which you have to mix and heat up before feeding baby. Make sure you let the hospital know you plan on breastfeeding and ask to see a lactation consultant when you are ready to feed the baby. If/when your nipples get sore and cracked, wipe them off with a damp cloth after feeding baby (to remove saliva and bacteria) then express some milk (by pinching) and rub the breastmilk into your nipple. IMO it works better than any cream you can buy and of course it's free! I never used a nursing blanket..
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I wore a cheap tanktop under my shirts so I could lift up my shirt and pull the neck of the tanktop under my breast.. baby can get to the nipple but no one ever knew I was nursing (even the nurse for a wellbaby checkup and she sees people nursing everyday!!) Invest in a good pump is EXTREMELY important.. first because the better the pump, the less chance it will break (the hospital I delivered recommended Medela and Ameda.) Second, if you buy a good pump, you will be less likely to "waste" that money by giving up nursing. I bought the Ameda.. ran about $400 but likeI said above.. I nursed my first for 14months, my second is 6months and I plan on nursing him for at least 6 more months. One last thing... when your milk comes in (after about a week after delivery) your breasts will be VERY full and uncomfortable. DO NOT pump! Lactation is supply and demand so if you pump, your body will think your baby needs all that milk and wil
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• keep producing that amount. If you absolutely HAVE to pump.. just do a small amount until you're comfortable. The engorged breasts should only last a few days. Warm compresses are very helpful. Add me if you like :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011