my son is two weeks old his belly button stump fell off 5 days ago now he has blood and fluid seeping out not much but some. I took him to the ER and they put something on it , they said that it would"seal off " the vessels. but now it still has seepage .two questions 1. is it painful for him 2. how can it be fixed

alishiaperez86

Asked by alishiaperez86 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When that happened to my newborn, they cauterized it in the Dr's office to seal it off. It did ooze a bit here and there afterwards, but it turned out fine. As far as pain, I'd say its uncomfortable, but while its open, it can still have a chance for infection, so address your concerns with the Dr again or the pediatrician so something can be done so it can start healing properly. G'luck!
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would take him back to see a doctor till then Call your on call doctor at the office and see what the proper care is. Good Luck.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011