All races feel free to answer this question I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

In light of MLKJ day, how do you think he would feel about his blk ppl today? Do you think he would feel as though he died in vain? Why or why not?

*Edited to add vid cause some don't know what he stood for. Just got an inbox that ask*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

prissysayshi

Asked by prissysayshi at 11:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He didn't die in vain but I think he would be disappointed to see that people still play the race card.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Maybe not dissapointed in black people in general but dissapointed in the fact that in all these years there are still so many ignorant people. I don't belive in inter race marriages or anything but I do belive in equality of treatment in general. People are people regardless of skin color. To me there is just a general lack of respect of? other humans in general and people making assumptions based on skin color.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Die in vain??? He was a remarkable man and leader. He is and will always be entitled to MLK day.
    It is sad that we as a race still are asking the race questions, ya know???
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• He appeared at a time when a big laugh on society was being promoted, that laugh of how high was one section or another of mankind willing to jump to make the voices heard until someone was willing to listen. He was one who wasn't playing on the masses for sympathy or money or power or bragging rights. Now the system of how high can we go is left in the past that once Martin Luther King broke that still -time -silent -moment where people were just sick of trying and getting no place. He left the one thing to us nobody else had done. His dream.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm not asking from a race stand point. In my opinion racism will always exist as long as people are born of all shades, period! I'm asking in the sense of the progression of blk ppl. I didn't say he died in vain... I'm asking what you think? Do you think he died in vain?
    prissysayshi

Comment by prissysayshi (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm asking in the sense of the progression of blk ppl. I didn't say he died in vain... I'm asking what you think?

This tells you your answer...if you even have to inquire about or ponder the "progression" of a certain group, it's clear that we have not made much headway.

Are you referring to progression from within the race or the perceived influences of other races on that progression?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't think he died in vain, but I agree that he'd probably be disappointed by several aspects of the African-American culture today.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yes I think he would be disappointed because YES many still play the race card and it's so ANNOYING!!! You know unfortunately my parents still live in the GHETTOS of Los Angeles. They have a cute little house on an okay street. They (the City) recently have been trying to improve the area . They built a wall with nice shrubs to cover an empty lot that looked kinda ugly. BAD IDEA!!! It was like a canvas for all these hoodlums to come and graffiti! YES I said it. You can try to change the Ghetto, but you can't take it out of people! This area is getting worse by the day. It's so sad that some choose not to better themselves and then complain that they grew up in the ghetto, but don't ever realize they take the Ghetto wherever they go because they are freakin' GHETTO!!!! I think MLK was a great leader and will always be remembered. I do think he would be sad to see that some are choosing to still be slaves to poverty!
    DRAGONFLYBLU

Answer by DRAGONFLYBLU at 2:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm not black, but I think Dr. king would be disappointed that (as people) we are still so divided. Only thing is that now there are no laws dividing us, it's our mentalities. Idk about you guys, but I've noticed that here in Arizona we are not 'Americans'. We are black people, white people, hispanic people, etc. We're only Americans and stand together when a tragedy happens.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• He was a great man with great ideas and he died for those ideas. He willing put his fate into the hands of his God and persuade a dream that this world could be a better world for all people, knowing full well, he would die for it. His motives were not fame, glory, position, power or the riches of man but, the idea that one man with one cause could change the world with one dream. And he did. He was expecting others to take up the vision of his dream and carry it on. "He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land". He knew other great men would take up this mantle and lead with the same heart he had lead them so far. I think that he would be so saddened today to see that those who took his dream have turned it into a business and use it to exploit the CONT
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2011