Is this typical for this age?

My son is almost 16 months and just recently he's started throwing little fits, lol. Not full-on tantrums, but close. He no longer wants to sit in a highchair at a restaurant and he doesn't want to sit in the cart at the store. He'll be okay for a little bit, but he eventually he starts whining and crying to get out. I'll let him out, then if I try to put him back in, he throws a fit. It's embarrassing, lol! My parents reassure me that it's normal at this age for him to start being more strong-willed and to want his way, but it's hard. Lately any time he doesn't get his way, he starts whining terribly. I try to just ignore it so that he won't learn that he'll get his way by whining, but it's difficult! He used to be so sweet all the time. What happened, lol?! I always make sure he's not hungry or uncomfortable and I do my absolute best to keep him entertained all the time. I almost wonder if he's a little bit spoiled, even though people say you can't spoil a baby. I'm a SAHM and he's always had his little butt kissed 24/7, haha. My entire day revolved around making him happy and I'm starting to wonder if this is why he always expects his way. He still seems like a very happy toddler, but I'm wondering...

is this a phase? Please tell me it is. Do all toddlers throw tantrums? And am I doing the best thing by just ignoring the fits? If what he wants is reasonable, I'll let him have his way, but when he's throwing a fit because I won't give him a sip of my coffee I obviously can't give in. I try to explain why I'm saying no, but he doesn't seem to care, lol

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little guy is almost 17 months old and we are starting to have our own small battles. I have found that we mamas have to stand firm. I walk away from him at home when he starts fussing over something I won't let him have/do. Trust me, in the beginning it is hard, but after a few times, he learns this isn't the way. As for explaining yourself to your toddler, you are wasting your time. He doesn't have a good enough grasp on vocabulary to comprehend what you are saying. "Mama says no" is enough for now. We are in for some rough times but we can do it! Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My 18 month all does the very same thing. They are slowly entering terrible twos.... It doesn't ehlp he mocks his 3 yr old sister on everything. They even have the same poutty face,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• LOL, I agree with mommy of two. It's definitely a start of entering the terrible twos, but it will pass. He'll learn to communicate better and express himself more. It will pass, but it will take time. G'luck!
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You can spoil a baby. After they are 4 months old they begin to connect the dots on how to get their way. My daughter is 17 months and never throws a fit when put in the cart or a highchair.( knock on wood) but boy did my son!! Maybe it's a boy thing?? Just stay firm and he will get over it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have a Special needs son and when he was 2 years old I had trouble myself but with a little work he got better about going out . It just takes time to work with them you need to put your foot down and say you don't stop you will be in big trouble. What I did to help him was did a reward chat and ever time that we went out to the store and out to eat you should tell him and remind him there is a reward chat at home with his name on it and if he isn't good then he don't get a sticker on it and when he fills the each line of the chat you can get him a small prize for doing so well and listening to you out about.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• it is very normal my son would do the same thing but i had put a stop to that.. i would tell hime if you want to get out stay by me and if you don't your going back in no if and's or buts... but you have to be in control of the situation at all times... at home if he throws a fit walk away and show that it doesn't bother you.. he will get better it is just a faz but if you just let him keep at it then he wont stop and he will be a 5 yo in the store throwing a tantum.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with what others have said but I also want to say that you had mentioned you let him have his way if it's reasonable and I just want to suggest that you don't. If he lets you know that he wants it without having a fit that's fine but if you give in to him when he's fussing about it then he'll just do it more often with more things. I don't know how good his vacbulary is but start teaching him to say please and thank you. If he's still getting a grasp on vocab teach him the signs for the words and teach him to use them (when you teach him you also say the word yourself so that he hears it more and more often). When he picks up on it he'll have another way of asking for things and one that will hopefully stave off a lot of the tantrums. But I will agree with everyone else and say that toddlers have tantrums. Not always about the same things as others do but they all want their way at some point and try to get it. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh and as for him screaming and crying when you walk away from him you can start coming down to his level, waiting for a quieter moment (sometimes easier said than done-lol), and telling him that when he is ready to be calm you will talk to him. If you want a different tactic you can use timeouts (this might be better if he has a good vocabulary-it all depends on the child). That's all I can think of right now. The best thing I can say is be firm and stick to what you say. Be consistent as well. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my entire day revolves*

nothing's changed, lol
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Lol, mommy of two! Oh no, is this what they mean by the terrible twos? Sometimes I feel like I can't make him happy and it makes me feel like crap. He's also been REALLY grumpy when waking up from naps. It's like he is so grouchy for about 30 minutes no matter what I do!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011