How do you wean baby from a bottle that he uses to go down for a nap?

My son takes a bottle before his naps and before bedtime, but he doesn't fall asleep on it. I want to start weaning him from the bottle all together. Where should I begin?

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For nap time bottle elimination we went on a schedule of breakfast with a sippy cup, bath, activity, lunch with a sippy cup and then nap time. We eliminated the night time bottle last and just went on a strict schedule of dinner, play at the park or other equal vigorous activity, sippy cup, bath and brush teeth, story book. They forget they had a bottle if you tire them out. Giving a sippy cup of milk or juice at bed time could cause tooth decay, so we never even went there. Also letting them throw the bottles in the trash and giving them a new sippy cup and tooth brush routine helps with the switch.
    Neufeld

Answer by Neufeld at 12:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• When My son turned one, my pediatricain said the best way to wean off a bottle, is to stop it all together..I just took it away, and that was the end of that. He was already drinking from the sippy cup before I stopped the bottle. So instead of giving him the bottle before nap and bed, I just gave him a sippy cup of milk and he did great.
    evansfam813

Answer by evansfam813 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I weaned my daughter w/ a sippy cup, she was pissed off at first but got used to it. after a day or two
    REDD77

Answer by REDD77 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2008