At what age do you think a child can begin to become spoiled?

I always hear that you can't spoil a baby, and I agree. But what about a toddler? At what age do you think spoiling becomes possible?

Or do you think that a baby CAN be spoiled? I'd like to hear all opinions.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• that's a very interesting question, OP. In my opinion I'd say around 18mos or so. Pre terrible 2's. They can manipulate, engage in attn. seeking behaviors and have a sense of entitlement. Those are pre-cursors to spoilage.

^^This!! You can not spoil a baby. I never put my daughter down until she was big enough to play on the floor 6-7m she een slept with me and at 23m she sleeps alone and plays very well with other kids or by herself while I am busy!

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It depends on what you mean, like always getting their way or emotionally spoiled. It has always made me mad when people say you shouldn't run a pick up a infant every time they cry because it will spoil them. Well, I'm sorry but I don't think you can ever spoil a child with love.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would say between 2.5 & 3. You can't spoil a baby, and younger toddlers really don't know that they are being manipulative. Older toddlers know (basically) the difference between right and wrong.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Any age I am 23 & somewhat spoiled rotten but still work hard to support my family
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• from birth... and it really is all how you look at it... there are spoiled and then spoiled brats...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with Scuba. My daughter is 2.5yrs right now and she's really testing me lately. She's already realizing that I'm in charge and what I say goes....but you can't knock her for trying! ;) It's important that the child knows that they don't run the house.........any age younger than this does not understand the concept.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't agree that a child can be spoiled from birth, but I do agree that there is spoiled and there is spoiled rotten. I've always been spoiled, but I've never been rotten or a brat. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with those of you that say you can't spoil an infant. Babies NEED to be held often. It's not a want at that age as much as a necessity.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'd say it can start as early as 18 months; at least that's what I've seen in my nieces and nephews.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2011