I need good suggestions for potty training a 2.5 year old boy.

My son seems to want nothing to do with using the "big boy potty" and I'm tired of changing dirty diapers. Anything good work for you?

Kare423

Asked by Kare423 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hey- I don't have boys so didn't need to potty train a lil boy. But my mother in law said that for my husband and his brother, she would put cheerios in the potty and have them "shoot the cheerios", said that helped out alot! Good luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My little 2.5 year old boy is progressing nicely using the potty (though he still hasn't quite caught on to going poo on the potty), but he was actually interested in it having seen my god sons being potty trained ahead of him. I have read recently several people posting their own potty training successes. Many people said they had wonderful (and quick) success simply switching to cotton training pants or regular underwear, no covers. Yes they had messes the first few days from accidents but they said their children learned very quickly it was easier to go to the potty and then get back to playing than to go in their pants and have to be cleaned up before being able to resume playing. Good luck to you! And remember, every child learns at their own pace, don't push it too hard or you could end up delaying the entire process.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 12:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Fruit Loops. Have him take a small handful and toss them in the potty. Then tell him "Ok, shoot the yellow one"..........and on and on until they are all shot. Then to him it's a game, he's learning his colors, AND how to pee in the potty. Worked like a charm with my son.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Most parents try and potty train their boys sitting down. The best advice I was given was to have him stand up just like daddy. That way he knows he's a big-boy becuase he potties like daddy.
    Anonymous