Please tell me about your 10 to11 yr old boy. Need some reassurement.

Anonymous answers welcome.
Just curious as to what's the"general norm" . I know every child is different,but please share with me some of the behavioral challenges that you regularly deal with. How often per day? What works for you on response? Just honestly seeking an idea of what typical challenges are. Most child development sites I've checked out don't seem to match my child's.
Also, what are some of your favorite attributes of your child?

Thank you so much in advance.

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 12:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh... another thought...

They want more control of their own lives... and they need that to grow... but they have to know what the rules and boundaries are and they need to learn to stay with in them. We did give our son the option of questioning a rule or restriction if done in a timely manor, NOT in front of peers, and with respect. We even allowed him to give a well thought out argument for changing a rule or a decision we made... IF done respectively. We have said no and we have said yes based on the validity of his argument.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son just turned 10.
    He is a little mouthy, but for the most part he is a great kid. His teachers always write, 'great role model" and say, "if I had 23 of him my job would be easy" I don't think he is a typical 10 year old. He has always been really easy and a very good boy. I love how hard working he is.
    My 3 year old daughter on the other hand....let's just say a lot different!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When he mouths off I threaten to take something like a Wii game away or ground him from his friends and he usually changes his attitude quick.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Well my youngest is now 12, but around 11 he started getting a little more opinionated and bit more mouthy. While I don't mind opinions all I really have to do is tell him not to talk to me in that tone, and the mouth well I just look at him and tell him stop talking to me like that. It works every time (I did and do the same with my oldest who is 16).
    At 11 he was really starting to want more free time with his friends and less at home time. He played a lot of video games (still does some days) and liked to play outside with friends. He wrestled a lot with his brother (still does I guess). He whined a lot when he didn't get his way when it came to playing with his brother - not really his friends. He became more intiutive above people and their characteristics, and chose his friends wisely. Overall he's a good kid, very little issues with him. His teachers love him and other parents enjoy having him around.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my son is now 14 (8thgrade) we never had an issue withhim at 11. We did have issue with him when he started to go through puberty at about 12/13 (7th grade - first year of middle school). He wanted more freedom and wanted more control...and we were willing to give it but he was trying to take it. Getting a bit mouthy and combative. Hubs had to go alpha male on him a couple times.

But he is now a joy again. 

sahlady