Question about becoming a RN

I am really wanting to become an RN. With work (part time) and a baby at home it is hard to go back to school since the closest school to me is an hour away. I have seen online RN schools but wonder if they are ligit. Does anyone know? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a good online RN class that would be recognized and not a waste of time and money?? Any help would be great!

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm an RN. I'm sure there are legit online RN schools, but I think that would be very difficult because you need a lot of clinical hours. If you do it online, I guess you have to set up your own clinical hours in a local hospital, and do it without an instructor, which would be tough. I don't know exactly how it works.

I would recommend that you get in touch with an academic counselor from a well-known online college and find out what kind of prerequisites and generals you need. If you do that part-time, it may take a couple years, and right now, many colleges have long waiting lists for their RN courses anyway, so you have time to work on generals. Then take one or two classes at a time, whatever you can handle, and when you are almost done with those, you can apply for RN schools if you're in a position. Studying to be a nurse takes a lot of time.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Well I know you could do your pre-req classes online probably, such as your math, English and all that. My niece is a nurse (I think she's an RN, but I keep forgetting), but she went to a local college, and she's going for her Bachelor's degree now (well taking a brief break, she just had a baby girl yesterday).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would check with local hospitals, and see if they hire from online programs. Nursing is very hands-on, I don't see how you can learn to give injections, or start IVs, online.

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have seen several programs for RN to BSN. But I have only come across one that is for RN but you have to live in California, Texas and Utah to be qualified. Just in case you are here is the link- http://www.wgu.edu/online_health_professions_degrees/bachelor_science_nursing_licensure

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Like the previous poster said, contact the local hospitals. I know one near me has a nursing program and has for decades. It probably gets you a heads up getting employeed at that hospital. Also, contact the school an hour away from you and see if they offer online classes. It's very important you chose an accredited school.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011