Help!! my son won't leave on his own!!

I dont know what to do, my son will no longer sleep on his own. He is 6 months old and No matter what we try he just won't! Its really frustrating and we don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?! He will fall sleep on us or while he is eating but never by himself. And if he does fall sleep on us and we try and put him down, he doesn't stay sleep!! Last night I even tried to just let him cry for a little bit, but after 20 minutes of that, he flipping out and snot and tears all down his face, I figured that wasn't working. Please help!!!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 12:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow that question worried me it said my son won't leave on his own under babies lol my daughter is one and she recently started doing that and she will not cry herself to sleep i actually have to lay with her til she falls asleep of course she is in a toddler bed not a crib like yours is but i lay with her in our bed too and when she falls asleep of course i put pillows and stuff all around her i dont know thats all i got sorry
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think babies go though phases and this may be a phase for him. He may be teething and wants to be held or it could be any array of things. Personally I love holding my daughter. She doesn't go to sleep on her own but I lay down with her and when she goes to sleep I get up and she stays asleep. When she was 5 mo old I could lay her down still awake and she would go to sleep wether I was there or not. But around 6 mo she wante dme to lay there and so I do. if she does fall asleep on me now I lay her down and she doesn't wake up.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I tihnk a lot of it is a comfort issue. If you were a baby wouldn't you love to be held and rocked. You have to remember too that he was in your tummy all nice and comfy for 9/10 mo and now he's all out in this world where we want him to lay by himself. My daughter loes to curl up to a pillow too. He may be a little young, even though he's apst concern for SIDS. But I did lay my daughter against a pillow. I would lay her on her back but on the edge of the pillow so it felt like someone was still bedind her
    SMWOODS

• Some babies go through a phase sort of like they feel abandoned easily and really cling to being with you. Most of the time people notice this when a baby who normally sleeps through the night begins waking in the night (not really hungry). Most of the time they are looking for you to reasure them that you will always be there. I heard this in a Baby Center bulletin.
    dd_wam

Answer by dd_wam at 8:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• This is how I got Paige to go to sleep on her own, (of course I did it from day one but it might still work for him) I would lay her in her crib and stay for a few minutes and rub her back, til she was almost asleep then I would leave just as she was dosing off. Then I started leaving earlier and earlier til I was eventually just able to lay her down, cover her and walk out and she'd go right to sleep. I started this right away with her and it made my life ALOT easier.

It was one of the best things I did, it's the tricks of the second child, you fix all the dumb mistakes you made with the first...LOL! Kelsie was in our bed til she was THREE......lol!
    missy4994

Answer by missy4994 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Sorry It was supposed to be son wont sleep on his own! lol it would worry me too!
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 1:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008