how would you explain lesbianism to your child?

my daughter doesn't understand why so many ppl discriminate against her mommies. she doesn't understand lesbians or why it is so scary for so many ppl. idk how to explain this to her.

metalmommy2006

Asked by metalmommy2006 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell her that some people don't know tolerance..and tolerance is accepting people for the way God made them.That should satisfy her curiosity till shes older to completely grasp the concept. I wait for the day that I have to explain this to my two boys..since his grandmother (my mother) is married to another woman!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You explain that families are made in many ways. Sometimes, families have 2 mommies, 2 daddies, or one of each. Families sometimes only have 1 mommy, 1 daddy, or no mommy or daddy but a grandma or grandpa. Not everybody likes all those types of families, but that's ok. Not everyone has to. As long as she's happy in her family, that's all that matters to you.

Tell her, too, that it makes you sad when someone doesn't like your family, but you can't change their minds, just like you can't change the ickiness of spiders or __(fill in the blank)__.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My younger sister is a lesbian.
    And I decribed it to my DD as to people who love each other but they both happen to be women.
    That gay people aren't any different than heterosexual people, we all love our partners and take care of our families.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When my son asked about his aunts & where his cousins' dad was, we explained that some women fall in love with other women, some men fall in love with other men, and that when his aunts wanted to have babies, a really nice man gave them the cells they needed to make babies.

As for the haters, we've told our son that some people think it is wrong for a woman to fall in love with another woman, but that these people are just scared of people & things that are different, that they have closed minds and that love is love.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• as simply as humanly possible. most of the time boys like girls. but some boys like boys and some girls like girls. you'll probably like the opposite sex/gender but you wont really know til you're grown up so let's go play candyland now! :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i think it depends on the age lol my sister is a lesbian and has a girl friend and i doubt my 2yo would think anything about it but if she were older i would tell her, its like how mommy likes daddy, we have a special bond, so and so has a special bond with so and so and go from there
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 1:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Its amazing how accepting and open minded people can be on here if only the rest of the world was the same way... equality for all.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's difficult to explain prejudice and discrimination to a child. In their minds the world should be just and equal for everyone. Even as an adult I can't understand why people react and behave the way they do. Perhaps explaining that people are uneducated or fear what is not like them.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Maybe she'll understand a little better when she's older. How old is she? People can be SO judgemental and it drives me crazy. I know it's easier said than done but tell her that it doesn't matter what other people think.
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 1:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011