what is the best family car?

i am about to embark on a journey to look for a nice family car.... decent priced, looks cool, and is safe. any suggestions on what i should look for?

metalmommy2006

Asked by metalmommy2006 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Shopping

• I'm biased....Honda CR-V. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• put your requirements into a search
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I second the Honda, CR-V especially
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• do you know of any good searches in specific or can i jus use google
    metalmommy2006

Comment by metalmommy2006 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am partial to Volvo. I used MSN auto when I was comparing cars. G/L :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Look at whether you want and SUV or mini van. Narrow it down that way. If you want an SUV decide if 5 seats is enough or if you need a 7/8. That will narrow it down amongst that group farther. Look at gas mileage and decide what you are willing to accept. Then if there are certain makes that you prefer once you have narrowed it down a bit go and test drive some. Try your car seats in (a must) to make sure they fit if you have little ones in car seats.
    I have a Ford Expedition Extra Long, it gets poor has mileage compared to what a smaller SUV or mini van gets but for me I love it. I can pull our camper and fit eight. We have 3 and a 4th on the way. When people are visiting from out of area we can fit all of us in. I also prefer the 4x4 options for winter driving. The room is great, I took the kids last year and we drove from WA to FL to NC back to FL and then back to WA. It was great for the long trek. Good luck
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I really like my Honda Odyssey but I definately wouldn't say it's "cool". It's very comfortable, functional and convenient when you have small children. If we want to look cool we just drive my husbands car...lol
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh and price was reasonable too...almost fully loaded (didn't get the navigation package) it cost $38K
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i love my jeep (grand cherokee), and i really like the commanders. i def. agree with melbornj, look at what you need. good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I love Honda. I have had 6 Hondas, including 2 CR-Vs and 3 Odysseys. Right now I'm considering trading up my 2006 Odyssey to a 2011 Odyssey.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011