which is better home school or public school?

my child has adhd.  my brothers, sister and i all have it as well.  when we were in school dhs forced my mom to put us on meds that made us like zombies and more suicidal.  this question is more to see what would be better in my situation.  i don't want to have to put my daughter on meds, and between my wife and i, i think we are fully capable to homeschooling her.  they make the parents take a test in all the subjects to see if they are capable of teaching their children so i am not so much worried about that. 

metalmommy2006

Asked by metalmommy2006 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• As long as the kid is learning I don't think one is better than the other.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Depends on what you're looking for. I believe that socialization is just as important as academics. However, there are a lot more "homeschool co-ops" now where children can get together and learn, play, and be kids. I do have grave concerns about home-schooling my children, as I am not an expert at everything and do not feel as though I qualify to teach my child every subject. Therefore, for me, I would enroll my child in public school. Also, those co-ops do hire teachers that come in, but that means I have to pay their salary. I'd rather send my kids to private school at that point.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• there's no 1 word answer for this. every child, home, family, school district, situation is unique. Some parents (and some kids!) just aren't cut out for home learning. And some families and kids just aren't a good fit for a standard school structure.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It depends on the quality of both. I know home-school moms that are fantastic, their kids are way ahead of other children in their age group. I also know some home school moms that have really put their children behind. Same with public schools. I also think it depends on the child; some kids learn better in a group of their peers, others do better one-on-one.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i've never been home schooled but i don't really think it matters as long as there getting a good education.. i think the socializing in public is more but then there won't be teen pregnancy in home school.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There is no one answer for this question. It depends on your local public and private school options. It depends on your ability to structure your day at home and your ability to help your children. It depends on your patience level with your own children.

There are too many variables in the equation to give a concrete answer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• For my family, home-school is best. For your family (or others) who knows?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• For my family- in my area-public schools are the best choice.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think it depends on the schools in your area and the parents. My DH wants us to home school, but I'd prefer to send our DS to school and just supplement anything we feel is important for a well rounded education but may be lacking (or not as thoroughly taught as we'd like) in public school. For example, science, anthropology, study of world religions, philosophy, computers, and art are all things important to one or both of us, so we will probably pay close attention to what they teach in school on these subjects and supplement at home with books, hands on learning, or outings to museums, etc. My husband is an artist and works with computers, so I'm sure he will teach him these things at home no matter what he's taught in school. As long as someone is teaching them and CARES about them learning, I don't think it matters in the long run. Getting them to love learning somehow is the important part IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Based on what I remember of my public schooling, I wish I had been home-schooled. Personally I think the 12 years of public schooling we have here is way overdone, considering all the crap I had to learn that I have NEVER used since being out of school. Not once since I left school has ANYONE asked me when the Boston Tea Party was, who was the 17th president, to find "X" in an equation, what causes earthquakes, who painted "Christina's World", or the difference between an adjective and an adverb. Plus the "socialization" isn't always a good thing- from the 7th grade on, I hated school because I was constantly picked on and abused. I would have very violent fantasies about what I wanted to do to the other kids who made my life miserable, and I tried to commit suicide. I'm sure some schools are wonderful, the ones i went to were not, so I'm kind of jaded about the public school system.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011