what are some things i need to look for when looking at a house?

me and my wife are about to start looking into renting a house. i need to know what things to be aware of and how to negotiate things that need to be fixed or updated.

metalmommy2006

Asked by metalmommy2006 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• water pressure is good and look under the sinks to see if there have been leaks, like if the wood is warped.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• hi ;) make sure the heater/ac work, all the plumbing is good/appliances work.........maybe call water/electric companies to see what prior bills are in the house so you have an idea of how much you will be paying/make sure you take pics before you move in and write down every little thing you see wrong on the move in inspection so that when you move out, you dont get nailed for it (stains in carpet, nail holes, etc) maybe check with the neighbors on noise, make SURE you have a decent landlord-ask around(I have had bad experiences) and check your states landlord code...........
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 2:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The ROOF, the oilburner, if it has one. Absolutly check out the neighbors.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I love how people assumed you are a dude?!?!? wtf?! Anyways I definitely think the roof and foundation are all important types of things to look out for looking for cracks. Bugs, Mice, Mold.. the age of the house should be a concern too. Older homes tend to have electrical problems if things haven't been updated. are in the same boat as you! Good Luck!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 8:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You are looking at renting - the inspection will come out of your pocket, if you choose a home inspection.
    Look under ALL sinks for any recent leaks. Make sure the water pressure is good. Check to make sure the heating-A/C unit works.
    Unfortunately, if you are renting, you have very little leeway when it comes to updating anything.
    Make sure though, that any appliances in the house work - stove, dishwasher, fridge, etc. Make sure the hot water heater isn't rusted anywhere and give hot enough water.
    Check for any signs of roaches. (Pull it out the fridge.)
    Good luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sorry..........I misread the first time. You are renting not buying, so no inspector needed BUT like some others said look under all sinks for leaks, look for water in the basement, foundations cracks that might be letting in water, the condition of the windows. Actually open some and see if there is decayed wood (sun damage) or leaking. Ask about how repairs are handled. Can you get a credit on the rent if you do some minor repairs (with discussion first). Get that in writing. Take pictures of every room before moving in and preferably with a camera that dates them. Keep those for your files in case of damage claims later. Yes, check out the neighborhood in general. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Um...."me and my wife"? Are you a dude? I think you shouldn't be on here.....Anyway, I like to make sure the water pressure is good.
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 1:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• no, not a dude, woman. and yes, wife, i'm a lesbian
    metalmommy2006

Comment by metalmommy2006 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thanks for clarifying :) I don't like the idea of guys getting on here LOL
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 1:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Have a house inspection for sure!! And do your own research for an inspector. Call a few and find out what will be covered or get some reliable recommendations. Be careful not to just pick the one suggested by a realtor. Lots of times they work together just to get the sale. I found ours through our bank. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011