Animal urine odor?

My SO has a dog, I do not!!!! He made the choice to buy a dog, knowing full well that I HATE the things and choose not to live with them.The thing makes the choice to urinate on our brand new oven (just bought a few months ago) rather often and I am constantly asking SO to clean the urine off of the oven because EVERY time it chooses to urinate on the oven and I try to cook something in it, the entire house wreaks of urine smell as does my food. It is absolutely disgusting and repulsive!!!! He claims to have cleaned it "really well" many times and I still smell the stench, especially when the oven is on very high heat. He even used some very expensive cleaner from a specialty store that is supposed to get rid of animal urine odor to clean it and it still smells horrible. The thing never chose to do this with the old oven.....FYI!!! Any suggestions about what to do would be greatly appreciated, as long as they regard the initial question posed ONLY. Otherwise, I will choose to be "offended" and report answers to CM.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Isn't there something called Urine B Gone? See if that can clean it, then keep the dog out of the kitchen - and preferably out of the house.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I wish that were possible!!! But, It's not mine and neither is the home (his either actually, he did not even buy the new oven). The thing is not mine and not my responsibility.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i have used a few things to even get cat pee smell out of furniture......maybe will help since cat pee is usually stronger? try white vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle..........ive used oxy clean................try some stainless cleaner spray or even counter top cleaner(depending on the type of oven) (home depot has a decent selection) the other thing is, you might want to check to see if any pee made it under the over or around it on the floor or in between cup boards material and oven.........if you can get that cleaned, might help
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 2:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• thank u very much OurHeartsAwait.......I have had a couple pet cats that made the choice to urinate on my furniture including my bed (which is sacred to me). I know feline urine is much stronger in smell, as I stated this a canine.........have you ever smelled canine urine when it is heated up?......doubt it, it is disgusting especially in unison with the food you are about to eat. I don't even want to experience this with feline urine, I have no doubt it would be at least twice as disgusting!!!! I'm sure you have baked some brownies or cookies or a cake or something at least once and I am sure you recall that pleasant aroma that filled your home while you baked this.....well just imagine the same intense aroma filling your home, only it being not so pleasant and instead smelling of piss. I literally smell this each and every time I use the oven to cook or bake anything! It's revolting!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• like I said.....he went and got a special cleaner that is supposed to get rid of urine odor (a commercial strength cleaner, like would be used in an animal hospital or shelter) and it cost quite a lot of money too(and we r on a very limited budget). It smelled horrible too but smelled better to me than the piss I smell every time I use the oven! I could still smell piss when I turned it on a half hour after him apparently cleaning it "very well" with this cleaner. I even specifically asked him to clean the floor underneath it and take out the drawer and clean every surface of that as well as the outer part of the base of the oven (all areas). I am a Virgo and super clean and thourough (sp?) about my cleaning. I doubt he did as a good a job as I would have but the thing is not mine and I never wanted it, so it is his responsibility to clean up after it! I prob. should have stood and supervised while he cleaned it.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 2:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i HEAAAAAAAAAAARrrrrrrrrr that. im a virgo too----clean freak myself. you practically do have to stand over some ppl if you want it done right. depending on type of floor, you might want to try clorox on the floor?
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 3:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i know girl...... he has cleaned it a few times now, the first time he finally did it after me complaining about the odor a dozen times or so. The odor dissipated quite a bit but than I watched the dog lift it's leg to the oven after it had just been out less than a half hour before. I told my SO, it obviously still smells urine on the oven and it's "marking"! He still swears he cannot smell it but he could not deny the dried yellow splashes all over the bottom of the oven, and other people have been in the house when I use the oven and made comments without me saying a word about the odor myself. As much as it irks me, I suppose if I want it done properly.....I should do it myself! I have suggested he use bleach but he is afraid it's going to hurt the damn oven. At this point I do not care if it strips the paint off the the oven, I am using straight or slightly diluted bleach and pouring it all over the bottom of it!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• and I will literally pour or spray it and let it sit or even turn on the oven so the bleach smell bakes into the damn oven like the piss smell has!!! ya, that's easy! that's what i will do.....put some slightly diluted bleach in a spray bottle and spray the bottom of the oven where the dog pees all the time and let it just sit and dry, im going to do that right NOW actually while SO is sleeping!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have cats and one had pist on one of the top burners of my stove and that is really bad while
    on... anyways I use a product called OderBan you can find it at most lowes stores some
    outlets such as Walmart may carry it also...
    Follow directions on bottle when diluting and spray entire area, DO NOT WIPE DRY... let stand to
    air dry... while air drying turn on oven and let it heat up...it will stink, but you have to burn off any
    urine that was missed....
    Once this is done turn off oven re spray and let air dry again (without heat) ... when dry turn on
    oven and see if it smells...you can repeat as often as possible...
    Now the sad part, animal urine can be really hard to remove period, and if things (including this)
    doesn't work, chances are you will need to purchase a new one, if my kitty does this one more
    time, I may have to.... I keep burners covered in foil (distracts cats) and it hasn't happened since...

Good
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Use a baking soda and water paste to gently wipe down all the surfaces where the dog does pee AND wipe down the seal of the oven. The rinse that off with a white vinegar and water solution, after this has dried - wipe down again with pure white vinegar. Then you need to clean out the inside of the oven with the same steps.

Personally, I'd have kicked the dog out, but since the dog isn't yours and the house isn't yours - good luck. You could try spraying the dog with the vinegar water solution when he gets near the oven so it becomes associated with a nasty experience.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011