I have what seems like constant panic/anxiety attacks since I became a mother, How do I get passed this?

bellesmom5

Asked by bellesmom5 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• I can say that maybe talking it out with a psychiatrist is good. They can give you the proper medications or counselor recomendation if anything to work on figuring out what causes your attacks or anxiety.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I used to get panick attacks and it was from not knowing what to do and worrying about it. Stress bascially. I used exercise as a means of taking care of it! I walk my dogs every other day, and inbetween I talk to my good friend I have known for 16 years.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have REALLY bad anxiety and I don't really like taking meds so what i do is some techniques that a therapist taught me one is to remember that you will get through it and just take deep breaths and remind yourself that you WILL get through it! another one is distracting your mind so when you have a anxiety attack look around the room and try to find everything you can that is (for example) a circle...it distracts you while you calm down!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You can also try listening to relaxation cds it really helps. Not the kind with music but the ones with just pure sounds. Like rain ocean sea etc
    Sakinsglow

Answer by Sakinsglow at 1:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would suggest speaking with a therapist or psychiatrist. My first thought is that you are suffering from post-partum depression which is probably what is causing your anxiety and feelings of panic and helplessness. You don't necessarily need to take medication to get over this - often, just speaking with a therapist helps tremendously.

You may also try journaling. When you are feeling anxious, take a moment to write down WHY you are feeling anxious. Try different methods to get rid of the anxiety (deep breathing, taking a moment to yourself, listening to a song, etc) and write down what affect these methods have on your anxiety. This will also help you if you choose to see a doctor, because he/she will be able to immediately see the direct cause of your anxiety and help you to target that and recover.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 2:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• "techniques that a therapist taught me one is to remember that you will get through it and just take deep breaths and remind yourself that you WILL get through it!"
    I did this to by saying u r fine, u made i thru the last time u will u do it again. I had the simular attacks when I came home./ I experianced my first panic attack while at home and I was sure I ws having a heart attack. Went on Web Md and lookd at the symptoms and that made it worse. I got a very upset tummy and that I better find a bathroom ASAFP. Doc put me a a real samll dose like .25 mg That helped me out alot. I am not the one take or push any pills, but u shouldn't feel bad or guitly or let someone help u. I know this so hard, but it will take awhile, but u can do it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You may have a magnesium deficiency; I take a cal/mag/D daily

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I also suffer from Panic Attacks what helps me is getting away from the room step outside and take deep breaths go for a walk if you can,try breathing into a paper bag,Yoga(esp Tree Pose You cant have a panic attack in that pose),Talk Therapy,find time for YOURSELF and whatever your hobby is,and just because you have a LO don't hibernate in the house get outside daily find a local Moms Club chapter or a local playgroup, Good Luck.:)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Dr.s always want to put you on meds, I've been on effexor and clonzapam forever. Although they have helped I am tired of paying for drugs all the time and the clonzapam is a narcotic so its really hard trying to get off of it. My suggestion would be do what you can without meds. But if you cant seem to function then you may have to get some. I am a nervous person anyway and without them I probably couldn't work.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011