Anybody been physically abused when they were younger?? adult content

My step-dad abused me both mentally and physically. One dayhe came home from work early. As luck (bad) would have it, he seen my friend come out the door. I was grounded for some reason can't remember now. She was only there for a cup of of sugar to make cookies for the bake of later that day. Well he accused me of her being there longer. He then started to kick me into a wall with cowboy boots. Hit my ribs, brusied them badly, same with the rest of me. He alwauys seemed to hit in places where it was plausible I could have hurt myself falling of my bike or what not. Nobody believed me. He was a Nuclear Engineer at a nuclear power plant, he was a EMT and a firefighter. Now I will not ever hit my daughter in anyway shape or form. I am scared I might not stop. Always wondering ifI am being a good mother since I haven't had the best of examples. Has anybody else thinks like this??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• I was abused as well. I forgave my agressor from the bottom of my heart. For some time, I had the same fears as you. Honestly, you can be a wonderful mother (as I'm sure you already are). You may or may not want to hear this but God delivered me out of that situation and healed my wounds. If you allow him, he will do the same for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was abused too. I'm grateful for my situation because I don't know what kind of mother I would've been without it. I would never hit or even spank my children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yes repeatedly all up until the age of 5 because that's when i was finally adopted.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 2:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my mom was mentally abuseing, and yes it affects how i parent, i hold my touge and try to be as understanding as possible thinking how would it affect them ect.
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 2:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am so sorry. Hitting is never alright, never. Children always forgive. Then they grow up and never forget. whenever a child is hit there always a danger of hitting too hard. I have gone back to that little girl (myself) and held her tight. I reminded her it wasn't her fault. You should find you as a little girl and hug yourself and tell her it wasn't her fault.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• yes,I was abused both physically as well as mentally by my own parents. tho' I 've forgiven them for what they did to me as I feel its because of it (the abuse) that I've a strong personality now.But still this day when I think about their verbal accusations, I shiver with anger & pity for myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i am abused right now with my dh. One time he busted my lip bruse my cheek my ribs r still sore & it was 7 months ago. 2 weeks ago he slapped me and tried to choke me. Idk why were still together. Idk what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• To me I think the mental abuse is the worse. The scars of physical abuse fade, u always have the scars with the mental abuse.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i think physical is worse u have the scars and at the same time u feel like mental abuse, the bad mouthing , the feeling of being nothing and small and empty...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was abused in every way, verbally, mentally, emotionally, physically, except sexually by my aunt, grandmother, and well, my mom and I abused eachother back and forth the whole time I was growing up. I've come a long way from those heart breaking painful years. I still don't trust myself completely though and probably never will. But for the most part I have learned to control myself. I have lived my life trying to make sense of it all and trying to learn how not to become that way. My faith has helped me a lot. My mom and I are now best friends. And both my aunt and grandmother have now passed away. I doubt that I've done everything right but like many I am trying to do my best and raise my children to be healthy, caring, loving children, teens, adults, parents, etc.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011