My Son won't eat! What can I do!

My son has always been a kid who ate little quantities but lately he has gone from eating little quntities to nearly nothing! He will eat two bites then say he is full or something similar. One day he likes this and the next he don't. Even taking away cookies and other sweets that I though could be making him skip meals so he can eat more of them at snack time doesn't work. The kid can literally go nearly all day with nothing more than a couple of bites. I tried talking to him, I tried getting mad at him but nothing seems to work. He is borderline for being underweight and I am getting worried. Anyone have any ideas what I can do???

Taylor82

Asked by Taylor82 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD is like that shes 3 and I feed her myself especally at dinner time, cause she sleeps better if she eats.
    And I've thought about pediasure that would be an idea.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Talk to his doctor.
    kmrtigger

Answer by kmrtigger at 3:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I wouldnt worry about that he will eat when he is hungry or fit him his favorit dish that he would love to eat. He just being a picky eater
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You can give him pediasure ive been getting my daughter that cus some days so wont wanna eat so on the days that she dont wanna eat i get her that and that usually feels her up like if she ate a full meal theres gonna be days where he doesnt wanna eat cus hes growing and theres gonna be days where hes gonna wanna eat alot hes probably going through a growth spurt and if your really concerned make a appointment with his doctor .Good Luck =)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 5:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Are there healthy drinks you can make for him like fruit smoothies, eggnog, etc that would seem more like a treat? Offer only healthy things which is especially important if he is borderline underweight. Take away the anger. It won't help anything. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son is also thin, a picky eater and sometimes go through phases when he just doesn't eat that much. I agree w/ elizabr - don't get mad. It won't help anything and could make his food issues worse.

If you're really worried, talk to your pediatrician. With my son, I make sure I give him a multivitamin every day and during the times when he's not eating, will often make him a milkshake w/ Carnation Instant Breakfast & a little Benefiber. Not my first choice for a meal for him, but it has a meals worth of calories and I know he's getting something.

Be patient, keep offering him healthy (as best you can) foods and this will pass.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Try ensure breakfast drinks for dways he isn't eating. It will make sure he gets something in him plus they are good. Also v8 fruit drinks. That fruits and veggies in a cup. Still offer food. And as pp stated, anger will get you no where. I too have a picky eater. Oatmeal with a little brown sugar is what I feed her now when she won't seem to eat anything else, but it's important to at least make them sit down with everyone else at meal time.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Its no biggie, they go thru phases. Make his favorite meals or ask him to help you cook. Try not to get mad, it makes it worse. When he says he is full, just say ok and stay at the table with rest of family and finish your meal.

Talk to his dr to be sure and look into the pediasure.

Is he drinking alot of juice or milk, that might be fillign him up too. Watch how much he drinks before meals.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• does he drink alot? cut back on the amount he drinks. only give water and milk or a pedisure. make deals with him like if you eat all your food then we will go outside after dinner etc. I seriously wouldnt worry alot about it he will not starve himself its against human nature. does he take vitamins? get gummie vitamins for him to take. leave healthy snacks such as fruit, whole wheat crackers, cheese and such accesible to him so he can graze throughout the day. GL
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011