should parents who pay child support get a receipt of every dollar spent ? unfortunately some parents who receive child support spend it at casinos, drugs, or trying to impress their new lover.

what do u think ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Child Support is not just for frivolous items for the child, it is also to help pay for your mortgage, food, electric, gas, cable, car payments, child etc. I do not spend money just to spend money and I don't even get the full amount I could have gotten because I didn't need quite that much.
    It is not cheap to raise a child and Child Support goes toward all aspects of the child's life, not just extra curricular activities or for items specifically for that child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• IDK, maybe not EVERY dollar, but some kind of proof, that the money was spend in the child's interest would be good. -Here you can ask "culturele bijdrage", which is a little financial support for recreational and cultural activities (sports club membership, going to the museum, the swimming pool, playground, a new fishing rot ...). First you have to fill in the form what you want it for and how much your income is, then it gets approved (or not) and the council CAN and WILL get back to you the year afterwards about the receipts. Without proper proof you have to pay it back. There IS no privacy when it comes to money. Man, I filled in so many forms answering all the question until I felt totally naked. It's not nice sometimes. But then again, it's money somebody else worked for, so I can as well do my part.

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 6:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No - while I agree that some people don't spend a dime of their child support to their children (I can think of two people off the top of my head), there are a lot of costs that are hard to quantify; bigger housing expense because of needing more room/better schools, utilities costs are higher; laundry, electricity for their rooms, etc.; and the food bill. Raising children is expensive, but so many of the costs day to day are hidden within the overall household budget.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No, I don't. The rare few might actually be blowing the money, but the cost of properly raising a child is not cheap. Living expenses are very high these days. If the CS paying parent thought there was an issue with the way the other parent was raising the child they should take it up in court... Not by counting receipts.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No, that is too much work for the parent who is already primarily caring for the children. It's also an invasion of privacy. The other parent isn't producing any receipts for their activities.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 5:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• As far as for CS ... this goes on monthly, doesn't it? I guess it would be a lot of work. But what about a seperate CS-account. The money gets put on and can always be traced back. -Just an idea.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• nope...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If there is a valid reason to think/know that the money for your kids is being blown........def I think that this should be a option!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No. I agree that some parents definetely missuse the funds. But in general I believe that the funds go for the true welfare of the child/children. Providing receipts is bordering on the invasion of privacy.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2011