I am all out of ideas! How do you keep your kids entertained on rainy days when you're stuck at home?

I have a 15, 13, 10 and 8 yr old. It seems like an impossible endeavor to find things for them to do and keep them from killing each other! I am SO ready to just throw in the towel and let them go at each other. Let's see how like it when mom stops being referee!!

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 7:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• bake, make popcorn balls, a dance contest. uno, chess, science experiments, hula hoop, family impersonations
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a snow day today (think someone sent me more? just kidding) I too am wondering what we are going to do today. Maybe the kids will play inside and they will probably ask to go outside.. they are beginning to wake up...here we go.. :) oh, if they are bored I usually ask if they want to do some work..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My grandmother used to say: only stupid people are bored. It doesn't work with my kids.
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 7:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• a set of watercolors can keep my son,4, entertained for hours.
    familyfun.go.com has alot of great ideas, I think they even have a section called rainy day fun or what to do when stuck inside, something like that
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• At these ages you could all be baking together or planning fun meals together. Even let the older ones be in charge of the shopping. Also, I saw on Supernanny that she had the whole family play board games and do it with teams. Alternate the teams so the children have different team mates each time. Just ideas...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Good ideas ladies!!
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i really dont know but if you find out how to keep theme entertain let me no
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't entertain my kids. That's their job. If they can't behave when they are home then they go sit on their beds until they're ready to act normal. And, no, I don't referee. I let them deal with it unless there is blood drawn.
    And, if all else fails, I break out a bucket of soapy water and put them to work. They don't want to behave or find something to do on their own then I make them clean stuff...windows, walls, floors, bathroom, etc. My oldest is only 10, though. Not sure what I'd do with a bunch of teenagers (I'll have 3 at once).
    Of course, we also live where it rains just about every day so if it's warm I still kick their butts outside when they get on my last nerve. They can go find something to do out there until they are ready to behave inside because I won't put up with the noise of them fighting all day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If you have the wii game system you should buy the "Just Dance" game and you all should play it. My kids 5 years and 2 years old loves dancing and it keeps them entertained. I also would cook some brownies where they all can help and have movie night. Your kids can help you cook dinner. You can have game night where you play pictionary or a game that all of you enjoy...The thing is that you all play together and just spend time together. When kids are bored they need to be redirected towards something that entertains them or else you are always going to find yourself being the "referree" =) . Good Luck.
    Sunshine2603

Answer by Sunshine2603 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011