Somewhat picky eater

My DD2 used to at least try everything you would put in front of her. Now, for a while now, she doesn't even want to taste things. I have to trick her into trying new things and she won't actually give it a go until after at least 3 tries.
She likes chicken, but since Market Basket decided to change the recipe of her favorite chicken nuggets, which taste the same, they just look different, she won't eat them. She likes Mac & Cheese, thank God, and she likes fruit.
I can get her to try some beef if I'm eating it, but she won't have much more than 2 bites. And don't even get me started with veggies!
I know a lot of moms go through this and they find ways around this pickiness. Any advice for a new mom?

Dalimonster

Asked by Dalimonster at 8:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Present her with the healthy choices of what you are eating. If she doesn't eat don't push it and do not make her something different. She will not starve. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• many moms will tell you different things. this is jmho of course.
    at the age of 2 she is able to see you eating what you like. and wondering why she doesn't get to eat what she likes. adults don't eat what they don't like. Do they? She's figured that out.
    Give her what she likes and what she will eat in the healthiest forms possible and let that fight go. As she grows she will eat other things.
    I have a child that only eats meats and protein based foods. One that is headed on a vegan road. And one that only eats meat and potatoes. They are all normal in my book. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have found just recently sitting down with DD and showing her I enjoy the food as well helps her eat more of it. She has actually in the past week tried several new foods and enjoyed them. I wish you the best of luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Frankly I have done this with all the kids I nanny'd for and also for my son.. I made food set it in front of them.. And if they didn't eat.. They went hungry.. (It was their choice to eat or not..)

About a day into it.. The kids all automatically figured out that food wasn't a game.. and if they didn't atleast eat some they were gonna be sorry for it..

Most ate pretty good after that!
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 8:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Make eating fun, that's what I do with my son. We laugh a lot. When I give him a new food, and he doesn't like it, I give him something different. He eats just about everything so I don't really have that problem with him. Give her foods that taste good, eat with her, and give her the same things you eat. If she can't have what you eat, it's time to change your diet a little. If she sees that you are eating lots of veggies and healthy food and food that she eats, she will want to eat it too. I give my son his food, sit him in the high chair and let him go at it by himself. He learned that if he doesn't eat he wont get his juice, and he'll be hungry, and that if he plays with his food and throws it around before he eats that he wont have any more. So now he eats his food, gets his juice, and then doodles with it for a while. It's the the greatest thing to let him play with his food, but when he plays with it he eats more.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011