pulled muscle, help!

daughter fidhting bedtime, i picked her up from behide and under drafting table
bad! was not a good position for lifting
and pop in my shoulder/neck
can not turn head this morning
only hurts if i move
has happened before, last halloween when i had to carry her most of time (she is three and a half and not a light weight

anything i can do to loosen it up
at this time, i will not be able to drive today-can not turn my head!
have over the counter pain pills-anything work better to not just relieve pain-but loosen the muscle
heating pad i will try today, but that means just laying there (is it a 20 minute deal like ice?-after 20 minutes not any more benefit? i can do 20 minutes every three hours if it will benefit) no ciroprator that lives next door and no insurance-not that i would go in for this, just a pulled muscle, will heal, how to speed up loosen factor?

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• Heat is the worst thing you can put on an acute injury... Ice 20 minutes, let rewarm to same temp as the other side, then ice 20 minutes again. Try taking an anti inflammatory like Advil (ibuprofen). Stretch the muscle before you ice, not when it's cold. (this is how I treat things such as this as a sports medicine professional!!!)

alternating heat and ice has never been a proven method to increase tissue healing!! This is a medical fact!! Icing causes more red/white blood cells to infiltrate the area and increase tissue healing. Ice penetrates up to 1.5 inches, where heat only gets in about 1/2 inch. I could go one for hours about how ice works better/faster on a cellular level. Feel better ASAP!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ice it first.  Heat later.  Here's a link that might help.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainstraintreatment/ht/muscle.htm

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• thanks
    i do have advil will do that and will do ice after daughter is off to school
    snow shoveling will be interesting this am
    will think of it is stretching the muscle
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Tobe clear, I was not suggesting alternating ice and heat. The heat comes after a day or so.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I knew just what you meant elizbar... that's a great link you posted too!!! So many ppl jump right to heat without knowing that it's not the best thing to do.... Here's a little more info about heat that was left off that link... heat works best to stretch a muscle that is not injured... or once the injury is out of the acute inflammatory phase (approx 3-4 days post injury), or when any visible swelling goes down.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ok thanks
    i was going to do heat because it feels nice
    will do ice
    and was going to soak in hot bath, maybe will wait on that bath until tomorrow
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i have no swelling
    this has happened before
    i think comes from lifting and carrying heavy toddler on one side all the time, so i am thinking spine out of alinement, and a muscle in neck/shoulder takes the brunt after bad lift or too much lifting
    it goes away after a few days
    just limits my movement
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yeah, you have probably pulled yourself out of alignment... a lot of muscles attach to the spinous processes of the vertebrae. I've done this myself... it sucks!! A soak in a hot bath, then do some stretching... then ice.. that would help. The heat of the bath or shower isn't as intense as a heat pack/pad. Just use it to your advantage and stretch after, then once you get back to your normal temp ICE, ICE, ICE. ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Once things get back to normal you might want to do some strengthening exercises. I have to do shoulder exercises to keep what was a "frozen shoulder" from tigtening up again. Plus I have to do neck stretches. Although I was given some exercises I have also seen them on the internet if you just Google it. I hope it all goes well.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011