How long does IN love last?

In your own opinions...how long does being IN LOVE last? You can fall in love and fall out of love...and I'm reading a book where the author says being IN love is a 2 year maximum till you are out of the honeymoon phase. That the act of being IN love is just a chemical change that connects two people till they are comfortable.

IN love in this book was the "can't sleep, can't think, can't breathe without thinking of this special someone." So...do you think it can last longer than two years? Less than two years? Do you even think that being IN love exists?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• for me it was alway safter the 1st year all that fun stuff went away but i felt that it was more infatuation than anything else...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Since I believe that love is an action, being IN love can last forever as long as you are making the actions that show love.

Think of it this way...if your mate isn't showing you love and is only saying the words, how loved do you feel? Not very. But if they are showing you love in all of their actions but not saying it as often, you always feel loved and in love and cannot wait to be with them when they are away.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am still madly in love with my DH & we've been together for much longer than 2 years. I don't think i ever felt "can't sleep, can't think, can't breathe without thinking of this special someone." My life has always been way too busy for that, not to mention i was already a single mother with a baby when i met DH. So, i had lots of things on my mind. I do think of him frequently. I can easily say that he still takes up most of my thoughts during the day, but then again...so does DD.

I think being in love has a lot more to it than that. I disagree with that theory.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Im still IN love, still get butterflies every time he comes home from work. I think you can stay IN love forever but you have to work at it. It doesnt just stay that way.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't agree with that author at all. I've been with my DH for 8 years, and we are both still "in love." When you find love, and you both nurture it, I think it can last forever.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• That sounds about perfect. 2 years of being infatuated is a long honeymoon. That doesn't mean you will love your spouse any less after that it just becomes easier to focus on other things after that time period. I agree.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm still in love with my oso even after 18 years and a 13 year break in between. The love has never faded. It has grown stronger than it ever was. I don't agree with that author. I've heard the same thing in other places; that the honeymoon phase would vanish at 3 years but that hasn't happened. Been waiting for it to vanish. It would make my life easier if it did but much sadder too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think It may be a feeling that may come and go in an relationship. Sure, after the honeymoon phase the feeling may pass but after 5 years sometimes I still look at my husband and have that "in love" feeling. Or he may do something to evoke those feelings from me. I think me may get comfortable but I think if we looked hard enough it would still be there.
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have never had that feeling...so I can't provide a useful answer.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would kinda agree with this book, but I think that the feeling can be renewed to that same state throughout the years from time to time and it helps confirm the reasons you feel in love again.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011