Is anyone's hair falling out while bf?

oliviamom34

Asked by oliviamom34 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• During pregnancy, your body stops shedding hair. when you realize that normally we shed 100 hairs a day, that's a lot.

Once you have the baby (breastfeeding or not) hormones will cause all that hair to start shedding so while you feel that you are going bald, your body is only shedding all the hair that it has retained for the last 9 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ^^Yup!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yes, and like Jademom said, its not the BFing that does it, its the baby =) My started a few months after giving birth, and eventually all grew back. Totally normal.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• never breast fed but after I had all the babies I thought I was going bald I lost so much hair! Jademom07...intresting I didnot know thaat your body did not shed hair when you were preggers
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I thought it was that your hair got thicker during pregnancy and after then it starts to fall out & go back to "normal". I didn't know it was because you simply didn't shed any during the 9 mo. Interesting. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Everyone is correct... We don't shed much hair during pregnancy which gives us that thick beautiful hair. Once that baby is born, regardless of whether you breastfeed or not, the hair comes out twofold.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was told this was going to happen and it hasn't yet. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or does anyone know if it will eventually start to happen? I'm 7 weeks pp.
    jasper311

Answer by jasper311 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It has nothing to do with breastfeeding, it's just because you're not pregnant any more. When you're pregnant, you have so many extra hormones and vitamins in your system that your hair and nails grow like wildfire, and your hair doesn't shed as much. After you have the baby, you start dumping those hormones and so your hair begins to shed a lot. Don't worry OP, you're not going to go bald!

If you want to try and retain some of that hair though, I would suggest continuing to take your prenatal vitamins. They are safe & healthy to take regardless of whether you're pregnant, the baby will get some of the vitamins through your breastmilk, and those extra vitamins (specifically folic acid) will help your hair, too. :)
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 5:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My hair has been falling out since i had my 1st child almost 10 years ago. So yeah.. It falls out when you have a baby, period
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 6:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i miss my hairs...
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 2:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2011