how do I get my 5mth to nap longer than 30-45mins?

I am currently bf and I cannot get my 5mth old to nap longer than max. 45mins at a time! I'm getting wore out! I try not to bf her before a nap or sleep because I don't want her to use me as a soother but at the same time I don't want her to cry it out. Maybe I should, does anyone have any suggestions?

oliviamom34

Asked by oliviamom34 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• How many naps does she take? Have you tried keeping her up through one of her naps and then seeing if she'll take a longer one later?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• maybe shes not napping bc shes starting to get hungry? have you started her on baby cereal at least? maybe you can try giving her th e rice cereal before naps to help her sleep longer? i know my kids always sleep better after a full tummy..
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Some babies are just not good nappers. My youngest was like this. Don't feed her at nap time unless it is time for a feeding anyway. What worked best for us......get into a sleep time routine that is always the same.  Diaper change, swaddling perhaps, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying......whatever works for you.  When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. But, again, some babies will nap well & others won't.  Our first was a great napper and our second was not. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Have you tried letting him fuss for a few minutes before going in. Around 45 minutes, many babies/toddlers go from one stage of sleep to another. During that transition, many will begin to cry, but will settle back to sleep within a few minutes if left alone.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Don't know, but when u figure it out let me know! Lol!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Lay down with her, nurse her a little. Get her nice and warm and her tummy full. She'll go to sleep very cozy and comforted and satisfied. She'll sleep longer.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My DS is 8 months old, and that's the LONGEST he'll nap for me, IF that. That's just how he is. On the plus side, he sleeps ALL NIGHT.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011