3 yr old whining

I am sick to death of my 3 1/2 yr olds whining.... as we speak he was jumping and dropped his legos and they broke and nows hes whining and crying... he whines all the time...any way to break them of this habit before i go insane

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is a whiner to mostly if his little brother takes a toy or if he is wanting to play with him when he doent want to.. I tell him if he wants to play with what ever toy it is at the time to go find something that his little brother will like so that way he doesnt take his That seems to work bc if I would just go get the little one a new toy its never as good as the one bubby has or gives him lol and if they dont want to play together i have them go to different rooms
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My mom says U used to cry and whine a lot. She says that what she did was express very sternly that she couldn't understand me, ask me to calm down and tell her slowly. Once I did, she would help me out. Eventually I stopped crying and whining for everything.

I'm trying this with my daughter. It works for my mom. it's harder for me. It does take time though.

If you react to it, it will continue happening though. I'm going through that one.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Try singing your anwsers back. So if you get a "Iiiiii Dontttttttttttt tooooooooooooooooo", try singing back "oh please before you make me sneeze'. Just sing all the whines back. Before you know it he will pick up his tone and feel less whiney.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Make sure he is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Lots of times kids go for the negative attention if they do not get enough positive attention. Plus make sure he is praised when he does things right. Make sure your rules are consistent and fair. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with @Dalimonster . Don't give into it because that would show that the child's method of whining is the way to get your attention
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have an only child and he is quite the whiner also - we tried to talking to him on his level, being understanding, he is very verbal so at 2, he could express his needs/wants... but whined in stead - Ignoring the whining and offering "Mommy only hears big boy voices" pissed him off to no end and I actually gave that a valid long trial period. We somewhat had to resort to tough love -whining and crying leads to time outs and we have to take things away - say what you will about being mean, however this has been extremely effective for US.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011