Can I use laundry detergent in my dishwasher?

I know it sounds silly but I'm out and the dishwasher is full. My son is home sick, so I can't get to the store. I REALLY don't want to have to wash the whole load by hand!!

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I myself don't know, don't think I'd try it though, do the hot water wash that sounds best, I wonder if you could use vinegar or something like that. One time I put an envelope of lemonade Koolaid in my dishwasher, I can't remember why, it was something I had read to do to clean something in the dishwasher, (was a long time ago) anyway my seal went out on my dishwasher, don't know if it was because of the Koolaid or something else, the dishwasher was relatively new so it couldn't of been age.
    Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 1:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• not unless you want water and suds everywhere trust me i tried it with regular dish washing liquid it does not work
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• lol. i did this once for the same reasons. it was a foamy mess.lol...you could always set the dishwaser on the hottest setting and run it like that. the heat should be enough to sterilize the dishes. as long as they are all scrapped and pre rinsed.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i've tried it with maybe a teaspoon of detergent before and it worked, not well, but it worked.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 1:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• LOL NO I did this once when I was about 16 with my best friend... her mom nearly KILLED US. We spent hours cleaning up the suds.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my mom did that once by mistake though, she didn't have her glasses on and didnt check to see what was what and the WHOLE kitchen was covered with suds... she has marble floors and it made it so dangerous to walk on... we spent forever cleaning it and since then i never place all of the detergants in the same area so a mix up would not happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• wow that is funny (knoxvilleDoula and anonymous) you know why dont you try like three or four drops of it or the dishwashing liquid. i tryed the dishwashing liquid and it worked just barely add any.
    Anonymous

• probably because I was 16 and spending the night with my best friend and we just wanted to be DONE with the dishes! that back fired :)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008