What's the best way to teach a 4 year-old to blow theier nose?

My son has lots of nasal congestion, and his nose is running too. I can hear the congestion and I know if he gave a good blow it would come out, and he'd get a lot of relief.

SDW69

Asked by SDW69 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh my gosh, I have the same problem with my 4 year old. He won't blow his nose himself and he hates when I try to get him to do it for me. But I ask him if he feels better when he does blow it out and he does, so what can I do to get him to blow his nose then?

I do hope someone will help us with this situation
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:21 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Demonstration?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My daughter was doing the opposite of blowing when we gave her a tissue. My husband had her put straws in her nose and blow bubbles in a glass of water. Gross, I know, but it did teach her the difference between blowing and sucking in. You could also try putting a tissue on a table and having your child take a deep breath and then try to move it by blowing it with his nose.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• By example.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am trying with my 3 year old also and he will only suck up - but I will try tweenandtwins advice..I think that could make him mad and not try again once he sucked the water up but its worth a shot...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I used to pretend that they would blow the tissue off. I would say blow and whoops I pretend the tissue would blow away. I would say "hey stop that". I always got a giggle then it became fun.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011