Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

recently had a fire and at a lost of what to do next..

it's kind of a shock. this happened two nights ago and it feels like we won't recover. it was a rental home and we have rental insurance so we have a little money to replace or fix our own personal property that has been damaged. But we only have 10,000 towards it. we need to call in someone to clean up the debris and ash from the entire house and there is ash in all the clothes, toys, and furniture. Where do i start? what do i do? who do i call? has anyone had experience with this??

Answer Question

Asked by khmymommi at 9:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 12 (855 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • by the way it was just a kitchen fire so the fire didnt damage much but the stove and the cabinets and ceiling above it, but the ash is the problem

    Comment by khmymommi (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Oh no!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt! There are companies that specialize in cleaning fire damage; one called "RestoreMD" is popular in my area. Your insurance company may know of someone that can clean up as well. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

    Answer by Scuba at 9:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Service Master and Belfor are two comapnies that do this kind of cleaning. Our son had Servicemaster and was very pleased. The owner's insurance should take care of it though, not you as a renter, correct? Sorry for your loss. I hope it works out OK.

    Answer by elizabr at 9:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • If you rent I would think the landlord is in charge of clean up. I am also glad to hear you are all safe.

    Answer by zebbiebug at 9:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • i'm not entirely sure.. the insurance agent came to our hotel room to discuss the money that we can use and all of that but i guess i was still in a little numb and didn't pay too much attention. I'm looking for as much advice and info as possible at this point.

    Comment by khmymommi (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Ok, well it is the landlords deal to pay for the clean up, not yours. He has ins for this...if he is smart. You replace your personal items only. That is what renters ins is for. He is responsible for hiring a company for the clean up NOT don't do it.

    Answer by salexander at 11:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Call your landlord, they have to take care of the clean up. You just need to replace your personal items.

    Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.